Great Falls Montana Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
This is the largest family history center open to the general public in Central Montana.
Center Contacts and Hours
- (Link to map using Google
- 1401 9th St NW Great Falls MT 59404-3336 United States
- Wednesday:10:00am-3:00pm and 6:30pm-8:30pm
Closed for all major holidays:
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events Class Schedule
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center may have various films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog from holdings in Salt Lake City UT.
- Hundreds of book holdings and thousands of microfilms and microfiches that are kept permanently at the Center. All of these are retrievable using an onsite electronic card catalogue. The catalogue allows searches by surname and geographic place.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Websites available include:
- Ancestory.com (probably largest collection in world of genealogy information)
- Arkivdigital Online (Swedish genealogy)
- 19th Century Newspapers (fully searchable British Newspaper collection of 19th Cent.)
- Alexander Street Press/American Civil War
- Find My Past (British ancestry)
- Fold3 (military records)
- The Genealogist (English Parish Records--may not be available)
- Historic Map Works Library Addition (Very extensive world-wide map collection)
- Paper Trail (U.S. westward migration documents)
- World Vital Records (Many various records)
- Godfrey Memorial Library (mostly New England Records)
Hardware and Equipment
- 3 new computers since Jan 2016
- 5 microfilm readers
- 1 Canon Reader Printer that makes both hard copies and digital copies of microfilm and microfiche images
Staff Research Specialties
We have volunteer staff that specialize in American, British, Swedish, Volga German research, and other areas of research. Call the library at (406) 453-1625 to learn when staff members knowledgeable in your area of research are scheduled to staff the Center.
The Great Falls Genealogy Society Library is a separate organization dedicated to preserving and making available to the public family history information here in Central Montana. They are located at the Great Falls Public Library 3rd Floor at 301 2nd Ave. North, ph. 727-3922.
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.