Great Britain Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|Location of Great Britain|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This index is an index of marriages in Great Britain for the years 1797 to 1988. It is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
- The names of the bride and groom
- Date of marriage
- Place of marriage
The records may also contain:
- Marital status
- Birth years
- Names of the fathers
Sample of indexed information:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name or names of the bride and groom
- The approximate date of marriage
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
- Witnesses or bondsmen listed on the marriage were usually relatives
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Scotland Guided Research, Ireland Guided Research, England Guided Research
- Scotland Record Finder, Ireland Record Finder, Wales Record Finder England Record Finder
- Scotland Research Tips and Strategies, Ireland Research Tips and Strategies, Wales Research Tips and Strategies, England Research Tips and Strategies
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.