Great Britain, Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|Location of Great Britain|
|Record Type||Births and Baptisms|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This index is an index for the years 1571 to 1977. It is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Not all records contain the same information. Generally, the following are included:
- The name of the child
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of christening
- Names of the parents
Sample of indexed information:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- Approximate date of birth
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Beginning in 1841, search the census records for the individual
- Continue to look for the individual in civil and parish marriage records
- Continue to look for the individual in civil and parish death records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, abbreviations of a name, or alternated between using first and middle names
- Spelling was not standardized for much of the period of this collection, so names were often spelled as recorders heard them. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list of search results
- Search in other nearby locations
- Consult the England Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.