Grant County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Grant County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grant County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||October 14, 1862|
|County Seat||Canyon City|
|Address|| Grant County Court|
201 S. Humboldt St., #280
Canyon City, OR 97820
|Named for: General Ulysses S. Grant|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Biography
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church History and Records
- 5.5 Court Records
- 5.6 Directories
- 5.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 History
- 5.10 Land and Property
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military History and Records
- 5.13 Newspapers
- 5.14 Probate Records
- 5.15 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 5.18 Voting Records
- 6 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 Grant County Oregon Genealogy References
Grant County, Oregon Record Dates
Grant County Courthouse
200 South Humbolt Street
Canyon City, Ore 97820
County Clerk has birth and death records 1915-1929
marriage, land and probate records from 1864, military
records from 1872 and naturalization records 1907-1913
Clerk Circuit Cout has divorce .
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Grant County Court House as of July 2009.
Grant County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
Named for General Ulysses S. Grant, General of the Union Army at the time.
Gold was discovered in what is now Canyon Creek in 1862, bringing a gold rush into the area.
- 1870, 1885, 1950 Fires burned the courthouse and some records were damaged.
- Fire destroyed some pre 1900 marriage records.
17 February 1899: Wheeler County set off.
23 February 1899: Harney County set off.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
- An Illustrated history of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney counties: with a brief outline of the early history of the state Oregon (1902) FHL Collection
- The History of Grant County, Oregon, 1862-1983 FHL Collection
- Index to above FHL Collection
- U.S. Biographies
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Swick aka Weberg Ranch
This is a very old, unmarked pioneer cemetery that is fenced off from the existing ranch (formerly known as the Weberg Ranch cira 1900-1960. From Suplee, go south on Weberg road about 5 miles and turn east on an unmarked ranch trail leading to the unmarked cemetery (approx 1 mile through the cattle grazing field). The turn is just past the old Weberg ranch house on the left just after crossing the stream culvert. Passable only in summer, dry conditions-SUV or Pickup. Just east of Crook County/Grant County border line
1870 The portion that is now Harney County was not enumerated.
- Eastern Oregon 1870 U.S. Census: Baker County, Grant County, Umatilla County, Union County FHL Collection
- United States 1870 Record Collection 1438024
1880 The portion that is now Harney County was not enumerated. This includes what is now Burns, Harney, etc.
- The Federal census of 1880 for Grant County, Oregon FHL Collection
- Grant County, Oregon 1880 census FHL Collection
- United States 1880 Record Collection 1417683
- United States 1900 Record Collection 1325221
1940 Open Release to the Public, March/April 2012.
Church History and Records
- Divorce case files, 1872-1923 FHL Collection
- Baker City (Oregon) city directories, including Grant County FHL Collection
Emigration and Immigration
- Ellis Island Passenger Arrival Records, 1892-1924, listing passengers who stated they are going to Grant County, Oregon
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- Military list for years 1872-1874 as per return of J.W. King, assessor, and military roll, 1887-1898 FHL Collection
"Military roll" is on spine of books and printed at the top of each page as a running title, however, there is no military information and only names and precincts are listed. 1900 records also have "State poll tax roll" handwritten across top of pages.
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- Blue Mountain Eagle (Grant County Paper)
- Newspaper Archives ($)
- Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
- Assessor's plat book, 1872-1898 FHL Collection
- Delinquent tax roll of Grant County, Oregon, 1884-1887 FHL Collection
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- Marriages or marriage licenses issued for Grant County, Oregon covering from 1865 to 1900 inclusive and some marriages from 1900 to 1908 (not inclusive) FHL Collection
- Grant County, Oregon marriages [1900-2000] FHL Collection
- Western States Marriage Index
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Grant County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Grant County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- webtree.com, listing individuals who born or died in Grant County, Oregon. Submitters of gedcoms may add, update or remove contents.
- Grant County Oregon History and Genealogy
Grant County Oregon Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grant County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092; FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)