Grand Isle County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Grand Isle County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grand Isle County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||November 9, 1802|
|County Seat||North Hero|
|Address|| Grand Isle County Courthouse|
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 7,
North Hero, VT 05474-0007
Grand Isle County Website
- 1 Description
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County is located in the northwest area of the state. 
Probate Judge has probate records; Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and land records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Grand Isle 1779
Isles La Motte 1779
North Hero 1779
South Hero 1779 
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Extinct or Renamed Towns
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|VTTombstone Project||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
- List of Grand Isle County Cemeteries
- Blog about Grand Isle Cemeteries
- Random Acts VT Cemetery Records Research Guide
Land and Property
Early migration routes to and from Grand Isle County for European settlers included:
Online Probate Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 FamilySearch, images.
Societies and Libraries
Grand Isle Historical Society
PO Box 23
Grand Isle, VT 05458
Alburgh Historical Society, Inc.
Alburg Public Library
PO Box 453
165 Main Street
Alburgh, VT 05440
Phone: 802-796-4144 or 802-796-3547
Isle La Motte Historical Society
PO Box 18
Isle La Motte, VT 05463
North Hero Historical Society
PO Box 175
North Hero, VT 05474
Franklin and Grand Isle Counties Historical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Grand Isle County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Grand Isle County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Grand Isle County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Grand Isle, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Isle_County,_Vermont accessed 6 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 698. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Land Grants That Became the Towns of Vermont - M at All Ancestors (Internet site)(accessed 4 April 2013).
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- Handybook for Genealogists, 847-61.