Grady County, Oklahoma Genealogy
|Grady County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| Grady County Courthouse|
326 W Choctaw Street
P.O. Box 1009
Chickasha, Oklahoma 73023
Grady County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 American Indians
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Probate
- 5.12 School Records
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Grady County, Oklahoma Record Dates
Grady County Courthouse
326 W Choctaw Street; PO Box 1009;
Chickasha, OK 73023
County Clerk has burial and military records from 1907;
Clerk Court has marriage, division, land, probate and court records from 1907
1907--Grady County was created 16 July 1907 from Chickasaw Lands.
County seat: Chickasha 
Grady County began July 16, 1907. It was named for Henry W. Grady, who was the editor of the Atlanta Constitution newspaper. Chickasha is the county seat, and it was established in 1892. 
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Oklahoma - shows boundary changes for Oklahoma Counties
- Oklahoma Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Populated Places 
- Bridge Creek
- Chickasha (county seat)
- Cox City
- Rush Springs
- 1851 - 1959 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Indian Censuses and Rolls, 1851-1959 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1895 - 1914 U.S., Native American Citizens and Freedmen of Five Civilized Tribes, 1895-1914 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1898 - 1914 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Dawes Census Cards for Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- Dawes Final Rolls - Oklahoma Historical Society
Land and Property
- 1884 - 1934 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Land Allotment Jackets for Five Civilized Tribes, 1884-1934 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1889 Oklahoma County Plats 1889 - Oklahoma Historical Society
- 1899 - 1907 Oklahoma Applications for Allotment, Five Civilized Tribes, 1899-1907 at FamilySearch — index and images
- For more information see Indians of Oklahoma
LDS Cemetery Records
Vol. 21 page 134 - Halcum Cemetery
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oklahoma Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Grady County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
State Census Records
- 1890 Oklahoma Territorial Census 1890 - Oklahoma Historical Societ
- 1890 and 1907 Oklahoma Territorial Census, 1890 and 1907 at Ancestry — index and image ($)
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for Oklahoma starting in 1860. For links to Federal census indexes, see Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- 1889 Oklahoma County Plats, 1889 - Oklahoma Historical Society
- El Reno Homesteader Filings - Oklahoma Historical Society
For more information see Oklahoma Land and Property
Local histories are available for Grady County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Oklahoma - shows boundary changes for Oklahoma Counties
- Maps n More - county and township maps.
- Oklahoma Civil War Map of Battles
- 1775 - 1783 - United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783 at FamilySearch - images only
- For more nationwide Revolutionary War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9236 Oklahoma, Confederate Pension Index, 1915-1955] at Ancestry — index (free)
- For more nationwide Civil War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- For more nationwide World War I databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- Oklahoma Military Deaths - Oklahoma Historical Society
- For more nationwide World War II databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
Oklahoma Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Oklahoma newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nebraska newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Oklahoma newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Oklahoma Newspaper Catalogs
- Oklahoma State Historical Society - catalog of known Oklahoma newspapers; lists repositories that have the newspapers
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Grady County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Lawton newspapers that may have included Grady County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Oklahoma, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Oklahoma - Grady - Probate records.
- 1801 – 2008 Oklahoma Wills and Probate Records 1801-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1887 – 2008 Oklahoma Probate Records 1887-2008 at FamilySearch — images
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Online Birth Records Indexes and Images
Online Marriage Records Indexes and Images
- 1841 - 1927 - Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Marriage, Citizenship and Census Records, 1841-1927 at Ancestry ($)
- 1852 - 1948 - Oklahoma, Church Marriages, 1852-1948 at FamilySearch — index
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma Marriages, 1870-1930 at FamilySearch Index only.
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma, Select Marriages, 1870-1930 at Ancestry — index ($)
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma, Marriages, 1870-1930 at My Heritage index ($)
- 1889 - 1951 - Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Marriage Index, 1889-1951
- 1890 - 1995 - Oklahoma, County Marriages, 1890-1995 at FamilySearch Index and images
- OKGenWeb Oklahoma Marriages
Online Death Records Indexes and Images
- Obituaries Listed in the Oklahoman - Oklahoma Historical Society — index only
- United States Social Security Death Index
- 1935 - 2014 - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 at Ancestry ($)
- 1936 - 2007 - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry, incomplete ($}
Online Divorce Records Indexes and Images
- 1923 - 1942 - Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Divorce Index, 1923-1942
Societies and Libraries
Grady County Genealogical Society
PO Box 792
Grady County Historical Society
415 W Chickasha Ave
Chickasha, OK 73018
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Chickasha Oklahoma Family History Center 1111 Ferguson Dr Chickasha OK 3018-6759 United States Location Map
- The Grady County OK GenWeb Project, a member of The OKGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grady County, Oklahoma. Page 559 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- http://genealogytrails.com/oka/grady/history1.html accessed 09/29/2016
- Wikipedia contributors, "Grady County, Oklahoma," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grady_County,_Oklahoma, accessed 5 August 2016.