Goosey, Berkshire Genealogy
Guide to Goosey, Berkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wantage|
|Parish registers: 1850; For more records see Stanford in the Vale|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - Salisbury; Post-1835 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Berkshire Record Office|
GOOSEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Stanfordin-the-Vale, union of Wantage, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 3¾ miles (N. W.) from Wantage.  It is located next to the parish of Stanford in the Vale. Most of the records for this chapelry will be found in Stanford in the Vale.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Goosey parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|ANC = Ancestry - ($)|
|Goosey Online Parish Records|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Berkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
GOOSEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Stanfordin-the-Vale in GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 315-319. Date accessed: 27 March 2013.