Gooding County, Idaho Genealogy
|Gooding County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho
Location of Idaho in the U.S.
|Founded||March 15, 1915|
|Address|| Gooding County Courthouse|
624 Main Street
PO Box 417
Gooding, ID 83330-0417
Phone: (208) 934-4221 or 4841
Fax: (208) 934-4408
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Cemeteries
- 7 Census
- 8 Church
- 9 County Commissioners' Minutes
- 10 Court Records
- 11 History
- 12 Land and Property
- 13 Maps
- 14 Military
- 15 Miscellaneous Series
- 16 Newspapers
- 17 Obituaries
- 18 Probate
- 19 Taxation
- 20 Vital Records
- 21 Societies and Libraries
- 22 Websites
- 23 References
The county was named for Frank R. Gooding, pioneer sheep rancher, early mayor of the city of Gooding, later Idaho Governor and U. S. Senator. The County Seat is Emmett and was founded January 28, 1913. It is located in the south central area of the state.
Gooding County, Idaho Record Dates
Gooding County Courthouse
624 Main Street, PO Box 417
Gooding, ID 83330-0417
Phone: (208) 934-4221 or 4841
Fax: (208) 934-4408
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1913. 
8 February 1919: Jerome County created from parts of Gooding and Lincoln Counties
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Gooding County, Idaho Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Gooding County, Idaho Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Many of the older court, land, naturalization, probate, pension, and vital records for Gooding County have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through their family history centers. They are also available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Details of the county records in these respective institutions can be obtained from their online catalogs or listings. Original records which have been microfilmed and more recent records are in the county courthouse in Gooding.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Idaho Cemeteries for more information.|
There are many cemeteries in Gooding County. For a list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Gooding County, Idaho Cemetery Records.
For the cemeteries in or immediately adjacent to the cities, please see the city pages for the cities listed above.
The 1890 federal census for Idaho was destroyed. However, the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library is creating a list of 1890 Idaho residents by indexing a variety of records, 1885-1894. This reconstructed list will substitute for the destroyed 1890 federal census.
For a summary of census records for the state of Idaho, see Idaho Census Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)
- List of Gooding County stakes and wards to about 1948.
- The following are local congregations (wards) which existed in Gooding County, Idaho prior to 1950.
Stakes: Blaine Stake, Idaho
County Commissioners' Minutes
The minute books of the County Commissioners contain interesting tidbits of history about the county as well as the names of individuals appealing to the County Commissioners for action on issues of concern to them. Minutes of those meetings were recorded from the formation of the county, for most counties. Some counties now post the minutes of current meetings online.
Most of these records have been preserved in the county courthouses of the State of Idaho. Few have been microfilmed. Contact the county clerk for information about years covered and availability.
Some of the early court records of Gooding County, Idaho have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho. The records filmed include civil suits, divorce papers, judgment dockets, etc. Copies of these microfilmed court records are also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers. Additional court records and more recent records are housed at the Gooding County courthouse in Gooding, Idaho, and can be accessed by making a visit there.
Some of the records of the courts of Gooding County that have been microfilmed include:
- Judgments, 1913-1931; general index, 1913-1940
See also the Miscellaneous Series for Gooding County.
WorldCat.org is an excellent resource for locating published and archival materials on the history of Gooding County. Works include:
- Settlement of Oregon and western Idaho by Utah pioneers, by Mary N Porter Harris
- Gooding County roots and branches, 1989, by the History Book Committee
- Gooding County roots and branches : pictorial 1990, by History Book Committee
- A centennial history of Bliss, Idaho, by Lorna Hobdey Falkner
- Bliss : historical points of interest on Clover Creek, by Lorna Bard
Land and Property
Land and Property records are generally recorded in the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For original records of Gooding County, Idaho, one may visit the courthouse in Gooding, Idaho. One might also look at Lincoln County from which Gooding was created in 1911.
It appears that at this time there are no microfilm copies of land and property records from Gooding County at either the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho or the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. Remember to check Lincoln County for records earlier than 1911.
- A digital Gooding County Idaho map is available online.
- Map of Gooding County, Idaho is available online.
World War I draft registration cards, 1917-1918, for Gooding County have been microfilmed. Copies of these records are available at the Family History Library (their microfilm number 1452215) and are also at Ancestry.com, for a subscription fee. The original cards are maintained in the Southeast Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in East Point, Georgia and have been microfilmed by the National Archives as their Microcopy M1509.
Often overlooked by the genealogist, this group of volumes may contain affidavits for citizenship, final disposition of estates, divorce decrees, and many other types of valuable documents. The content varies from county to county, year to year and from clerk to clerk. When the estate case files, civil or criminal files are not available or have been destroyed, you may find key documents recorded here. Most counties will have an index to this series and it is a must search if the information you are seeking is not found elsewhere.
Both the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho, and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah have copies of the miscellaneous record of Gooding County. The originals are held in the Gooding County courthouse in Gooding, Idaho and can be accessed by visiting there. Copies in the Idaho State Archives are available for viewing in Boise. Those held by the Family History Library can be viewed either at the Library in Salt Lake City or at any of its Family History Centers.
The Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho has copies of the following Gooding County newspapers which can be viewed by visiting the Archives:
Enterprise Of Southern Idaho: 1977:5:26-1983:11:3
Gooding County Leader: 1969:4:3-1995:12:27
Gooding Independent: 1936:1:23-1939:12:28
Gooding Leader, 1921: 1921:1:20-1927:6:30
Gooding Leader, 1933: 1933:1:5-1975:1:30
Hagerman Valley Sun: 1911:06:16
Hub City Irrigationist: 1909:4:15-1912:6:14
Hub City Voice: 1974:12:18-1975:8:28
Idaho Leader: 1908:12:23-1921:1:13
Idaho Leader: 1909:6:11, 11:12
Wendell Irrigationist: 1912:8:9-1970:6:25
Online Probate Records
- 1857 – 1989 Idaho Wills and Probate Records 1857-1989 at Ancestry.com $
Existing original probate records of Gooding County should be found at the Gooding County courthouse located in Gooding. These can be viewed by visiting the courthouse.
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed some of the earlier probate records of Gooding County, and these can be viewed by visiting their Archives in Boise, Idaho.
Any existing tax assessment rolls for Gooding County should be in the courthouse in Gooding and would need to be accessed by visiting there.
- 1861-1911 - Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch
Birth records, 1911 to present, for individuals born in Gooding County area are included in and recorded at the state level. These records are restricted for a period of one hundred years from the time of the individual's birth but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under the subject Idaho for more details.
There are 134 Gooding County Idaho births/christenings in this database--Idaho births.
- 1800-1987 - Idaho, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1864-1976 - Idaho Church Marriages, 1864-1976 at FamilySearch — index
- 1864-1950 - Idaho County Marriages, 1864-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1878-1898; 1903-1942 - Idaho Marriages, 1878-1898; 1903-1942 at FamilySearch — index
- 1947-1963 - Idaho Marriage Index, 1947-1961 at FamilySearch — index
Nearly 1500 marriages, 1913-1938, are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch.
- 1938-1961 - Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961 at FamilySearch — index
After 1911, deaths occurring in Gooding County are included in the state-wide registration program. These records are restricted for a period of fifty years from the time of the individual's death but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under Idaho for details.
Copies of death certificates from 1911-1954 are on microfilm and can be used at the Idaho State Archives, the Family History Library, BYU-Idaho University Library in Rexburg and several other locations.
A state-wide index to Idaho Deaths, 1911-1956 is available online. Efforts to expand this index to 1960 are underway. Another version is the US Genweb Idaho Death Index 1911-1956.
Courtesy of the Gooding County Historical Society: Obituary Index for 1946, 1947, 1980-2011
Societies and Libraries
Many public libraries provide internet access to sites of value to the family historian. Some have special collections of historical and cultural interest, as well. The following libraries may have some resources of value, but use of some or all of them may require a visit to the library.
- Gooding Public Library
306 Fifth Ave W
Gooding, ID 83330
Phone: (208) 934-4089
- Hagerman Public Library
290 S State St
Hagerman, ID 83332
Phone: (208) 837-6520
- Sherburn Smith Memorial Library
375 1st Ave E
Wendell, ID 83355
Phone: (208) 536-6195
- Gooding County Historical Society
- Hagerman Valley Historical
100 North State Street, Hagerman, ID 83332
- Gooding County Historical Museum
Euskadi Ln, Gooding, ID 83330
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- The IDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Gooding County, Idaho Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Gooding County, Idaho Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/ida/gooding/
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gooding, Idaho page 178, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, Number 10, Counties and County Seats, Reissued July, 1991.
- census.gov - Idaho population by county, 1900-90 accessed 2009-05-03
- quickfacts.census.gov - Canyon County accessed 2009-05-03