Goodhue County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Goodhue County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Goodhue County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 5, 1853|
|County Seat||Red Wing|
|Address|| Goodhue County Courthouse|
509 5th St W
Red Wing, MN 55066
Goodhue County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for James Madison Goodhue, the first printer-editor in Minnesota. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Goodhue County, Minnesota Record Dates
County Administrator has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage and probate records from 1854, divorce and court records from 1951.
Minnesota Hisotrical Society has divorce
and court records 1854-1950.
- 1853--Goodhue County was created 5 March 1853 from Wabasha and Dakota Counties. County seat: Red Wing 
- For a brief history of how Goodhue County was named, click here. Then select Goodhue County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Bellechester | Cannon Falls | Dennison | Goodhue | Kenyon | Lake City | Pine Island | Red Wing |Wanamingo | Zumbrota
Belle Creek Township | Belvidere Township | Cannon Falls Township | Cherry Grove Township | Featherstone Township | Florence Township | Goodhue Township | Hay Creek Township | Holden Township | Kenyon Township | Leon Township | Minneola Township | Pine Island Township | Roscoe Township | Stanton Township | Vasa Township | Wacouta Township | Wanamingo Township | Warsaw Township | Welch Township | Zumbrota Township
Hader | Stanton | Moland
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- List of Churches in Goodhue, the kind of records they hold and contact information.
Dale Lutheran Church, Kenyon
- Records of the Dale Lutheran Church, Kenyon, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Gol (and Moland) Lutheran Church, Kenyon
- Records of Gol (and Moland) Lutheran Church, Kenyon, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Kenyon, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Minneola Lutheran Church, Zumbrota
- Records of Minneola Lutheran Church, Zumbrota, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Red Wing
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Red Wing, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Urland Lutheran Church
- Records of Urland Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Goodhue – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Goodhue County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Goodhue County Biographies Searchable, donated, short biographies of historical Goodhue residents.
Civil War service men from Goodhue County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Goodhue County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company F.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D and E.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies A and H.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company G.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies F and H.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies A and C.
- - 1st Minnesota Company Sharpshooters, First Company only.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Goodhue County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- List of microfilmed newspapers available at Goodhue Historical Society.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Goodhue Area Historical Society
PO Box 141
Goodhue County Historical Society
1166 Oak Street
Red Wing 55066
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Goodhue County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhue_County,_Minnesota accessed 12 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Goodhue County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.