Godalming, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Godalming, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Guildford|
|Parish registers: 1582|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1689|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
GODALMING (St. Peter and St. Paul), an incorporated market town and parish, in the union of Guildford, First division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Guildford, and 34 (S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for General Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Shillingford, Betty. Garboldisham to Basra via Godalming. History of Arthur Cyril Harbour, born Godalming Surrey 1896 and died in Basra in 1916. Family can be traced back to Garboldisham. There was an exhibition at the Godalming Museum, October 2010, and the author was able to trace the family back to 1725 in Norfolk. She gives a description of the family, and their whereabouts. There is a picture of Arthur Cyril Harbour, and article dates from 1725-1985, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, New series, vol. 8, pt. 2, page 112-115, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j (June 2011)
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 26 February 2014.
- Batches C013332, C013333, P013331, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batches M013331, M013332, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.