Gloucester St Catherine, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Gloucester St Catherine, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Gloucester St Catherine, Gloucestershire|
|Hundred||Dudstone and King's Barton; Gloucester City|
|Poor Law Union||Gloucester|
|Parish registers: 1687|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1571|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Gloucester St Catherine is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Other places in the parish include: Kingsholm St Catherine, St Catherine Kingsholm, and Longford St Catherine. Non-Church of England denominations identified in Gloucester St Catherine include: Plymouth Brethren and Protestant Dissenters. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a non-Church of England denomination located somewhere in Gloucester, but the exact parish has not been identified. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Gloucester St Catherine parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|DEAN = Forest of Dean Family History Trust - free|
|GLOUCESTER ST CATHERINE PARISH Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016. Described as 'Gloucester, St Catharine' and 'St Catherine.'
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 18 July 2016. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'