Glasbury, Breconshire Genealogy
GLÂSBURY, a parish, in the poor-law union of Hay, partly in the hundred of Tàlgarth, county of Brecknock, and partly in that of Painscastle, county of Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Hay, on the road to Brecknock; comprising the hamlets of Pipton, Velindre, Tregoed, Cwmbach, and Kilturch. The soil on the banks of the Wye, at this place, is perhaps the richest in the county, and is appropriated to feeding vast numbers of cattle and sheep for the markets of Brecknock and Hay. The village is situated on the northern bank of the Wye, being separated by the river and by the Hay and Brecon turnpike-road from the church, which is about a quarter of a mile distant. The earliest church of which any memorials exist stood near the present confluence of the rivers Llyvni and Wye, and its site is still marked by a few hawthorn-trees. Another edifice was erected on a new site, and consecrated on the 29th of June, 1665, by Bishop Lucy, which, having become dilapidated and too small for the population, was taken down in 1836, and replaced by the present structure, opened in May 1838. The building, dedicated to St. Peter, occupies a steep bank on the southern side of the road leading to Hay. There are three places of worship for dissenters, namely, one for Baptists at Pen-yr-heol, near the Black Mountain, one for Independents at Maes-yr-onen, and one for Wesleyan Methodists at Cwmbach.
G. LASBURY, a parish partly in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, and partly in that of Painscastle, county Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles S.W. of Hay, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Talgarth. The parish includes the hamlets of Pipton, Tregoed, and Velindre. The river Wye flows through the village, which is situated in a fine spot. Aberllunfi is a parish of itself, but its church has been suffered to go to ruin, and the chancel of Glasbury church has been given for the accommodation of the Aberllunfi people. For further information see Glasbury, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 358-385. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.