Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Gilmer County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gilmer County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 3, 1845|
|Address|| Gilmer County Courthouse|
10 Howard Street
Glenville, WV 26351
Gilmer County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Gilmer County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth, death and court records from 1853
Marriage, probate and land from 1845
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Otterbine or Baptist Church Cemetery inscriptions, Gilmer County, West Virginia
- Snider Cemetery inscriptions, Gilmer County, West Virginia
- Woodford Cemetery records, Gilmer County, West Virginia
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
For tips on accessing Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Regiments. Service men in Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Gilmer County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Companies B and E.
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Companies E and H.
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company D (Gilmer Rifles).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1845-1847, 1849-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Gilmer County Historical Society
706 Mineral Road
Glenville, WV 26351
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Gilmer County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- FamilySearch Catalog
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilmer County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.