Gilliam County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Gilliam County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gilliam County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1899|
|Address|| Gilliam County Courthouse|
221 South Oregon Street
Condon, Or 97823
Gilliam County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Populated Places
- 4 Neighboring Counties
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church History and Records
- 5.4 Court Records
- 5.5 Gazetteers
- 5.6 History
- 5.7 Land and Property
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Migration
- 5.10 Military History and Records
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate Records
- 5.13 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.14 Taxation
- 6 Vital Records
- 7 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 8 Websites
- 9 Gilliam County Oregon Genealogy References
The County was named for Cornelius Gilliam, who commanded the forces of the provisional government of Oregon after the Whitman Massacre. The County is located in the north central area of the state. 
County Clerk has marriage, divorce,
probate, court and land records from 1885.
Gilliam County, Oregon Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
17 Feb 1899: Parts were taken to form Wheeler County.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Defunct Post Offices
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Early migration routes to and from Gilliam County, Oregon Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Gilliam County Historical Museum
Condon, OR 97823
Gilliam County Historical Society
Highway 19 at Burns Park
PO Box 377
Condon, Oregon, 97823
Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society
c/o The Dalles Public Library
722 Court Street
The Dalles, OR 97058
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Gilliam County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Gilliam County GenWeb Project part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project *The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Gilliam County.
Gilliam County Oregon Genealogy References
- Wikipedia contributors, "Gilliam, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilliam_County,_Oregon accessed 27 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gilliam County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "GIlliam County, Oregon," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilliam_County,_Oregon, accessed 10 October 2018.
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map VI" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap6.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).