Giles County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Giles County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 25 family history books and articles have been published about Giles County's families.
- Main article: Giles County, Virginia
Giles County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Virginia, Early Settlers from the Earliest Times through 1795, in the Area that was Botetourt County in 1782. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library, 1990. Available at FHL. [Includes area that later became Giles County.]
- Heavener, Ulysses S.A. German New River Settlement: Virginia. 1929; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1976. FHL Book 975.5 F2ghu 1976.
- Research Committee, Giles County Historical Society. Giles County, Virginia, History - Families. n.p.: Giles County Historical Society, 1982. Available at Virginia Historical Society; FHL.
Giles County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bane] Nichols, Ruth Bane. The Bane(s) Legacy: From North Carolina to Virginia. [Inverness, Florida]: R.B. Nichols, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Barker] "Genealogy of the Barker Family in West Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 3, No. 2 (Apr. 1965):25-27. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Biggs] Biggs 2000 Reunion: Official Booklet: Sunday, August 13, 2000, Comer Grove, Wikel Ruitan Building, Wikel, West Virginia. n.p.: n.p., 2000. Available at FHL.
- [Briggs] Heinemann, Martha. Briggs Families with a Connection of Floyde County, Ky. Typescript; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Chapman] Roberson, Rhonda S. "Chapman Sketch," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 19 (Feb. 1981):30. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Clark] Collier, Faye Clark. The Clark(e) Family. MSS., National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C.; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Cooke] "John Cooke First Settler of Wyoming County," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jul. 1964):44-45. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Copley] Mills, Roger L. The Mills Family of Western West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky. Chattanooga, Tennessee: R.L. Mills, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Deck] Gollehon, Bertha Marie Deck. John Deck and Nancy Lambert Deck of Giles County, Virginia and Their Children. MSS., 1982, 1988. Available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Diamond] Carter, Lennie M. and Regina Tackett. Malinda Diamond, Pioneer Woman: The Genealogy of the Diamonds and Rowes of Giles County, Virginia. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 2004. Available at FHL.
- [Dickinson] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Duncan] Curtis, Oscar F. Research File: Duncan and Allied Families. MSS.; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 6 Includes Giles County.
- [Epling] Massard, Robert Louis and Debra Kay Cyprych. Epling/Eplin, 1787-2003. 6 vols. + supp. Wellesley Hills, Mass.: R.L. Massard, 2001-2006. Available at FHL.
- [French] Braswell, Irene French. Families of Frenches, Williamsons, Shafers, Brasells in America, 1710-1972. Gilmer, Texas: I.F. Braswell, 1972?. Available at FHL.
- [Frye] Frye, Ralph Lawrence. The Frye Family of Giles County, Virginia: A Compilation of Genealogical Information of the Ancestors, Associated/Allied Families, and Descendants of Clarence Lee and Bessie Willie Perkins Frye. Colonial Heights, Virginia: R.L. Frye, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Harman] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Harman] Clary, Judith Walls Harmon. A History of the Harmons in America, [ca. 1700-1985]. Jacksonville, Florida: J.W.H. Clary, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Key] Key, Marcus M., Rhoda (Freer) Newman, and Helen (Kay) Yates. "George Key: Virginia Soldier and Missouri Pioneer," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1974):3-12; Vol. 18, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1974):97-104; Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1974):211-219. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 18 (1974).
- [Keyser] Keyser, Willet. The Keyser Family: Henry's Children. Houston, Tex.: W. Keyser, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Kirk] Lenges, Peter J. The Kirk Family Records, ca. 1754-1986. Typescript; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Lugar] Graves, Twila Mae Lugar. Genealogy of the Lugar Family. Chariton, Iowa: T.M.L. Graves, 1979. Available at FHL.
- [Lugar] Graves, Twila Mae Lugar and Jane Echols Johnston. More Descendants of Adam Lugar. Chariton, Iowa: T.L. Graves, 1982. Available at FHL. [Supplement to Genealogy of the Lugar Family.]
- [Lybrook] Womack, Dorothy Owens. Keep in Touch: The Balser and Catherine (Ream) Lybrook Family; Truth and Tales. Lexington, North Carolina: Womack Pub., 2000. Available at FHL.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Giles County appears in Vol. 2 Part 2]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. Available at FHL. [Vol. 1 covers Giles County.]
- [Patteson] Patteson, Andrew W. The Patteson Family History: From Appomattox to Giles. Falls Church, Va.: A.W. Patteson, 1993. Available at FHL.
- [Peck] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1922. Vol. 2. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Peck] Copenhaver, Roberta Matilda and John Alexander Kelly. The Ancestors and Descendants of Judge John Alexander Kelly and Martha Matilda Peck Kelly and Related Families, 1515-1959: Kelly, Alexander, Howell, Peck, Borden, Burke, Snidow; Collected by Dr. John Alexander Kelly. Charlotte, North Carolina: Delmar Printing & Pub., 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Rowe] See Diamond.
- [Shumate] Barker, Nina Ball. The Following Lists Some of the Descendants of the Joseph Ball, Sr. Family. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Smith] Albert, Sylvia Gearheart. Edgar Willis Smith and Bertha Florence Williams Ancestory [i.e. Ancestry] and Descendants. Troutville, Va.: S.G. Albert, 1989. Available at FamilySearch Books Online;FHL.
- [Stafford] Stafford, Thomas Albert. The West Ulster Staffords and Their Descendants. Chicago, Illinois: T.A. Stafford, 1952. Available at FHL.
- [Tawney] Ross, Clara Mae Alt. John H. Tawney 1848 - 1916: His Ancestors from Giles Co., Virginia, to Pennsylvania and His Descendants of Roane County, West Virginia. Colfax, North Carolina: C.M. Ross, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Thompson] Thompson, David Gordon. Genealogy of Gordon Thompson and Jane Clemens Thompson. Salem, Mass.: Higginson, 1984?. Available at FHL.
- [Toler] Burgess, James A. Burgess, Mullins, Browning, Brown and Allied Families. Parsons, W.Va.: McClain Printing Company, 1978. FHL Film 1035668 Item 10; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Underwood] Tickle, James Robert. The Tickle, Bunts, Bond and Jennings Families of Southwest Virginia: A Family History with Some North Carolina Roots. Morristown, Tenn.: J.R. Tickle, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Walker] Ashworth, June Faye. Walker Family History: (Early Orange, Giles, Cabell, Wayne Counties of Va.); (Mainly Charles Walker, Jr. and Descendants. Huntington, W. Va.: J.F.B. Walker, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Williams] Ferguson, Shirley G. The Williams Family of W. Va. & Virginia. Phoenix, Arizona: S.G. Ferguson, 1987. Available at FHL.
- [Witten] Witten, James W., Letha O. Ledbetter, and Frank Ledbetter. Dad and His Folks: A History of the Witten and Graham Families. L. & F. Ledbetter, 1932. Available at FHL.