Ghana Civil Registration
|Ghana Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1863-2003 - Ghana, Accra, Marriages, 1863-2003 — images, for Accra only
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms, Ghana, index and images, ($)
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Banns and Marriages, index and images, ($)
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials, index and images, ($)
Civil registration including indexes[edit | edit source]
Research use: Excellent for family and relationship linkage. A primary source.
Record type:Births, marriages, deaths, for Europeans and Africans.
Time period: 1872 to present.
Contents: Births – name of person, birth date, parent’s names, father’s occupation and residence, sometimes mother’s age; witnesses’ names, residence, occupation, and sometimes relationship. Marriages – names of candidates, their residences and marriage date; sometimes parents’ or sponsors’ names and ages. Deaths – name of deceased, death and burial dates, age, residence at time of death, occupation, cause of death.
Location: National Archives in Accra; some are also in the National Archives, London.
Population coverage: Approximately 80% of the population, but only after ca. 1930. Before that, 40% of the population. British population:60%, native population: 40%.
Reliability: Excellent. Recognized as official records.
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Ghana,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1991-1998.