Germany, Prussia, East Prussia, Catholic and Lutheran Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Germany, Prussia, East Prussia, Catholic and Lutheran Church Records, 1551-1992
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|East Prussia, Prussia, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of East Prussia, Prussia, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Poland, Lithuania, Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast)|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Preußen, Ostpreußen, Katholische und Lutherisch Kirchenbücher, 1551-1992|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains baptism, marriage, and burial information from Catholic and Lutheran churches in Poland and Germany. East Prussia included land now found in Poland, Lithuania, and Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in German. For help reading these records see:
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- Brigham Young University Script Tutorial : The German Documents
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For more information about these records see Germany, Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
For a list of all the titles included in this Historical Records publication see Germany, Prussia, East Prussia, Catholic and Lutheran Church Records - Inventory.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Lithuania and Poland.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Poland, Częstochowa Roman Catholic Church Books, 1226-1950
- Poland, Evangelical Church Books, 1700-2005
- Poland, Gliwice Roman Catholic Church Books, 1599-1976
- Poland, Lublin Roman Catholic Church Books, 1784-1964
- Poland, Radom Roman Catholic Church Books, 1587-1966
- Poland, Tarnow Roman Catholic Diocese Church Books, 1612-1900
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.