Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg and Posen, Church Book Duplicates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg and Posen, Church Book Duplicates, 1794-1874
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Brandenburg, Prussia, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of Brandenburg, Prussia, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Parts of Brandenburg are now in Poland. All of Posen is in Poland.|
|Record Type||Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Preußen, Brandenburg und Posen, Kirchenbuchduplikate|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes records from 1794 to 1874. German states successively began creating church book duplicates from 1792 to 1876. This collection of church records covers the years 1794–1874 and are good sources to find information of ancestors before the institution of civil registration in 1876.
In Germany, a parish was an ecclesiastical jurisdiction made up of many villages and hamlets, with one of the villages designated as the main parish town. This set of church book duplicates do not usually include records from all of the villages within a parish, but only records from one village, or from a few of the villages within the parish. In larger cities, where there was more than one church, each church is listed separately.
Outside of Prussia, the clergy were required to record the vital events (births, marriages and deaths) of people living within their jurisdiction regardless of their religion. For example, Catholic or Jewish people living in an area that did not have a Catholic church or Jewish synagogue were often recorded in the Lutheran records. The reverse was also true in Catholic areas, where Lutherans and Jews were recorded in Catholic records. However, in Prussia--including Brandenburg and, from 1793 onward, Posen--this was not the common practice.Some Posen church books have entries for Jews during the period 1807-1814, i.e., the Napoleonic occupation.
German church book duplicates, like the originals, are the most reliable and accurate family history source until 1876 when civil registration of births, marriages and deaths began in all of Germany.Church book duplicates may differ slightly from the originals because of transcription variations. They are often more legible than the originals. Entries are usually arranged in chronological order in a column format. The baptisms, marriages and deaths for one year are grouped together before the baptisms, marriages and deaths for the next year.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are written in German and Polish. For help reading these records see the following:
- Germany Language and Languages
- German Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- Poland Language and Languages
- Polish Word List
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg and Posen, Church Book Duplicates, 1794-1874.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in these records usually include the following:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before beginning a search in these records, it is best to know the full name of the individual in question, as well as an approximate time range for the desired record. When entered into the search engine on the Collection Page, this information provides the quickest, most reliable path to finding the correct person. Of course, other information can be substituted as necessary.
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Province
- Select Town (district): Affiliated Towns
- Select Religion
- Select Event, Year Range (Archival Call Number) to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg and Posen, Church Book Duplicates, 1794-1874. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records
- Use the information in each record to find additional family members
- Repeat this process with additional family member’s records to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Germany Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that their may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
Consult the Germany Record Finder Table to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Deutschland, Preußen, Brandenburg und Posen, Kirchenbuchduplikate 1794-1874." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 1 March 2018. Brandenburgisches Landeshauptarchiv (Brandenburg State Archives), Potsdam.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.