Germany, Bavaria, Diocese of Augsburg, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Record Type||Catholic Church|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Bayern, Bistum Augsburg, katholische Kirchenbücher, 1615-1939|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 3 What Do I Do Next?
- 4 Citing This Collection
- 5 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection has baptism, marriage, and burial records from the Catholic records from the Diocese of Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany from the years 1615 to 1939.
These images are available to view at Family History Centers. If possible, visit your nearest Family History Center to view the images.
Reading These Records
For help reading these German records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching, it is best to know:
- The name of the person you are searching for
- The date or approximate date of birth, marriage, or death
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find your ancestors in censuses. These can help you find additional family members
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find a birth or death record. Sometimes a person is buried in a city or town in which they did not die so it is not always accurate to assume that a burial place is the same as a death place
- It may be helpful to look at civil registration information for additional information on birth, marriage, and death records
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Germany Record Finder to find other records
- Switch to a different record collection. Depending on the time period, either German Civil Registration records or German Church records may be more useful
- While searching, it is helpful to know such information as the ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as an ancestor and that the ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Keep in mind that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
Consult the Germany Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Deutschland, Bayern, Bistum Augsburg, katholische Kirchenbücher, 1615-1939." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 8 June 2018. Dioezese Augsburg Bistumarchiv (Augsburg Diocese Archive), Germany.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.