Germany, Baden, Archdiocese of Freiburg im Breisgau, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Germany, Baden, Archdiocese of Freiburg im Breisgau, Catholic Church Records, 1678-1930
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Baden is located in Germany|
|Record Type||Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Baden, Erzdiözese Freiburg im Breisgau, Katholische Kirchenbücher, 1678-1930|
|Archbishop's Archives Freiburg|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 3 What Do I Do Next?
- 4 Citing This Collection
- 5 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection has Catholic records from the Archdiocese of Freiburg im Beisgau, Baden, Germany. There are baptism, marriage, and death records included.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. These images can be viewed at the Family History Library or a Family History Center near you. For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records
For help reading these German records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Town or province of residence
- Age or birth date
- Names of family members
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find your ancestors in censuses. These can help you find additional family members
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find a birth or death record. Sometimes a person is buried in a city or town in which they did not die so it is not always accurate to assume that a burial place is the same as a death place
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Switch to a different record collection. Depending on the time period, either German Civil Registration records or German Church records may be more useful
- While searching, it is helpful to know such information as the ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as an ancestor and that the ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Keep in mind that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
- Consult the Germany Record Finder table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Deutschland, Baden, Erzbistum Freiburg, katholische Kirchenbücher, 1678-1930." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 18 June 2018. Erzbischöfliches Archiv Freiburg (Archbishop's Archives), Germany.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.