Germany, Anhalt, Köthen, Miscellaneous City Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
This collection consists of city records from Köthen for the years 1630-1921.
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Köthen, Saxony-Anhalt, Prussia, Germany|
|Flag of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Location of Köthen, Saxony-Anhalt, Prussia, Germany|
|Map of the German Empire, 1871-1917|
|Record Type||Miscellaneous Records|
|Title in the Language:||Deutschland, Anhalt, Köthen, ausgewählte Bestände des Stadtarchivs 1630-1921|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains images of various documents related to city government and administration, including residence lists, city directories, citizen rolls, and registers of military recruits. The original records are held at the Stadtarchiv Köthen.
Reading These Records
These records are in German. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Anhalt, Köthen, Miscellaneous City Records, 1630-1921.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Military Recruit Registers
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching, it is best to know the following information:
- Name of the person
- Date of the record
As you search, look for a record which matches this information.
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Record Type
- Select Surname the Item of Interest to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Germany, Anhalt, Köthen, Miscellaneous City Records, 1630-1921. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Copy down all the information from the record
- Cite the record; see below for help citing this records in this collection
- Use the information to find your ancestors in census records. These can help you find additional family members
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Consult the Germany Record Finder to find other records
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision. If listed, a personal title may be a clue to property ownership or occupation, either of which might be noted in other records
- Try variations of given names and surnames. An individual might appear under a different name in a record for a variety of reasons:
- They might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Spelling was not standardized for much of the period of this collection, so names were often spelled as recorders heard them. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Some women returned to their maiden names after the death of their husbands
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
- Search the records of nearby locations. While a person in this period rarely ever lived more than about 20 miles from their place of birth, moves within this range were common
Consult the Germany Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Deutschland, Anhalt, Köthen, ausgewählte Bestände des Stadtarchivs 1630-1921." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Stadtarchiv Köthen (Köthen City Archives).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.