Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1955
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Fulton, Georgia, United States|
|Flag of Georgia|
|Location of Fulton County, Georgia|
|Location of Georgia|
|Record Type||County Records|
|Atlanta History Center|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection consists of records from Fulton County for the years 1827 to 1955. The collection includes:
- Census and Voter Registration for Atlanta, Georgia
- Cemetery records from Atlanta and vicinity
- Garrett's Necrology (This collection includes extracts from obituaries for Atlanta and vicinity.)
- Death extracts from Atlanta
- Census of Whites and Colored citizens
- Index of Campbell (Fulton) county vital statistics
- Westview Cemetery Sexton Records
- Voter registrations and miscellaneous court records from Campbell (Fulton) county
- An index to the 1890 Atlanta City census
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1955.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary person or persons
- Names of spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded
- Birth, marriage or death dates
- Birth, marriage or death places
The coverage table shows the types of records and time periods covered. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Voter registrations||not available at this time|
|Westview Sexton Records||1884-1933|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of an event or the name of a parent or spouse
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1933. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age to calculate the birth date to find other records such as birth, christening, marriage, census, and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
- Use the information to find additional family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the Georgia Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying you sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Georgia, Fulton County Records from the Atlanta History Center, 1827-1955." Database with images. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 18 September 2018. Atlanta History Center, Georgia.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.