Gates County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Gates County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gates County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||April 14, 1778|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Family Histories
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Migration
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Gates County is located in the Eastern portion of North Carolina and shares a border with Virginia. It was named for General Horatio Gates, an American brigadier general in the Revolutionary War.
Gates County Courthouse
P O Box 345
Gatesville NC 27938
Reg of Deeds has birth, marriage and death records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and Court records from 1780
Register of Deeds
PO Box 471
Gatesville, NC. 27937
Clerk of Superior Court
PO Box 31
Gatesville, NC 27938
Telephone: (252) 357-1365
Gates County was formed in 1779 from Chowan, Hertford, and Perquimans counties. It was named in honor of General Horatio Gates, who commanded the American Army at the Battle of Saratoga. Gates County is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Camden, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Chowan and Hertford counties, and the state of Virginia. The present land area is 340.67 square miles. The act establishing the county provided that commissioners be appointed to select a site centrally located for the erection of a courthouse, etc., and to have the building erected. In 1781, an act was passed to levy an additional tax for the completion of the public buildings. The Legislature of 1830-1831 passed an act which said that the place now known as Gates Court House, in the county of Gates, shall in the future be known and described by the name of Gatesville. Gatesville is the county seat.
Gates County was a part of an area originally called "Albemarle", named for George, Duke of Albemarle. Later, what is now Gates County was split into three separate entities: Hertford, Chowan, and Perquimans counties. Most of the land within the present boundaries was considered to be Nansemond County, VA, until 1728, when William Byrd had surveyed the "dividing line" between Virginia and North Carolina.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Gates County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- [Southall] Warner, Seth. "Descendants of the Reverend Daniel Southall of Eastern North Carolina," The Genealogist, Vol. 21, No. 2 (Fall 2007):175-190; Vol. 22, No. 1 (Spring 2008):107-127; Vol. 22, No. 2 (Fall 2008):221-240.
Gates County Register of Deeds
202 Court Street
P.O. Box 471
Gatesville, NC 27938
Phone: (252) 357-2411
Gates County Register of Deeds office contains records concerning real estate recordings, including Deeds and Deeds of Trust. Copies of survey maps are recorded in the Register of Deeds office. Also recorded in this office are Marriage, Birth & Death Records, as well as Military Discharge Records. Discharge records 50 years of age or older are available for public view. More recent discharge recordings are only available for the Veterans' needs.
Early migration routes to and from Gates County for European settlers included:
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
War of 1812
Muster Rolls 7th Company from Gates County - on Archives.org
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Gates County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Gates County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company C
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company B
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre - 1790 - Pre-1790 Gates County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1762 - 1964 - Will Books 1 to 7 (1762-1964) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1779 - 1819 - Images of Wills and Estates North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- 1782 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1782 (index) in NC Taxpayers vol. 2, online at Ancestry ($)
- 1782 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1782 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1786 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1786 (index) in NC Taxpayers vol. 2, online at Ancestry ($)
- 1786 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1786 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1789 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1789 (index) in NC Taxpayers vol. 2, online at Ancestry ($)
- 1789 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1789 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1815 - Tax Lists, Gates County, 1815 (images) online at North Carolina Digital Collections
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1926 - 1975 - North Carolina, County Divorce Records, 1926-1975 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1958 - 2004 - North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1783 - 1877 - Gates County Marriages 1783-1877 North Carolina Pioneers - fees applicable
- 1851 - 1951 - Gates County Marriage Index 1851-1951 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Gates County, NC Archives
- Pre - 1799 - North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database North Carolina Pioneers - fees applicable
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Gates County Historical Society
PO Box 98
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Gates County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Gates County NCGenWeb
- Gates County USGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers $
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gates County, North Carolina. Page 509 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.