Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Gadsden County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gadsden County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||June 24, 1823|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 4.1 Populated Places
- 4.2 Neighboring Counties
- 4.3 African American
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Gadsden County, Florida Record Dates
Gadsden County Courthouse
10 E Jefferson St; PO Box 1799
Quincy, FL 32351
County Judge has marriage and probate records
Clerk Circuit has divorce, court and land records. 
The county was named for James Gadsden of South Carolina, who served as Andrew Jackson's aide-de-camp in Florida in 1818. Gadsden County is historically known for its tobacco crop which is obsolete today. The County Seat is Quincy and the county was created June 24, 1823. The County is located in the Northwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1849 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Jackson • Leon • Liberty • Seminole County, Georgia
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Gadsden County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 USGenWeb Archives Project Spanish Census
- 1821 USGenWeb Archives Project Census/Tax List Index
- 1823 USGenWeb Archives Project Census/Tax List Index
- 1880 USGenWeb Archives Project Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos
- 1885 FamilySearch - Florida State Population Census.
- USGenWeb Archives Project Federal Census Information from National Archives
- USGenWeb Archives Project State Census Information from Florida State Archives
- USGenWeb Archives Project Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
USGenWeb Florida Territorial Land Records
Local histories are available for Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 USGenWeb Archives Project Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State
- 1882 USGenWeb Archives Project Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State
- University of South Florida Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps
- Gadsden County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- USGenWeb Archives Project Florida State Military Files
- USGenWeb Pension Project Florida state pension records from various wars
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883' - Gadsden County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails]
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- Gadsden County, Florida Confederate Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
- Gadsden County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- distantcousin.com Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- distantcousin.com Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Florida State Library Early Florida Newspapers
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990 — images
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974 — index and images $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1885 - Mortality Index - Gadsden County Persons who died during the year ending May 31, 1885 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- Florida State Archives
Societies and Libraries
Gadsden County Historical Society
PO Box 231
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Gadsden County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Gadsden County FLGenWeb
- State of Florida
- Gadsden County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Gadsden County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Gadsden County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy]
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gasden County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Gadsden County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.