Fylingdales, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Fylingdales, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Whitby|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Fylingdales is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1786 from chapelry in Whitby, Yorkshire Ancient Parish.Other places in the parish include: Parkgate, Ramsdale, Robin Hood's Bay, Rowe, Stoupe Brow, Park Gate, Bay Ness, Fylingdales Moor, Fylingthorpe, Normanby, and Stow Brow.
FYLINGDALES (St. Stephen), a parish, in the union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Whitby; containing 1611 inhabitants. 
The older St Stephen's is maintained but the parish church is located elsewhere in the village.
The parish of Fylingdales contains two churches, the older standing isolated on the hill-side above the town of Robin Hood's Bay and the later in close proximity to the railway station. Both buildings are, however, modern, the ancient church of ST. STEPHEN having been pulled down about the year 1821. It contained features of considerable antiquity, the chancel arch being a reputed work of the Saxon period. The church which took its place is a semi-classical building with plain pointed windows and flat plaster ceilings. It consists of a nave of five bays, with galleries on the north and west sides, a shallow quire, south porch and wooden cupola over the west end of the nave.
The new church of ST. STEPHEN, built in 1870 from the designs of G. E. Street, is a handsome if somewhat heavy Gothic building, consisting of a nave with south aisle, quire and tower on the south side. The quire terminates in a semicircular apse, with a ribbed stone vault, and an arcade of four bays having octagonal piers with foliated capitals separates the nave and aisle. The clearstory above consists of two-light windows alternating with quatrefoils. The circular stone font, tapering towards the base, was rescued from a local farm-yard. It has a molded rim, and apparently dates from the 13th century.
The plate is all of modern date. The registers begin in 1653.
From A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2 (1923), pp. 534-537. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64704 Date accessed: 07 May 2011.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Fylingdales parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Fylingdales Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the North Yorkshire County Record Office.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 272-275. Date Accessed: 11 November 2013