French and Indian War, 1754-1763
|French and Indian War, 1754-1763|
and Native Americans
and Native Americans
History[edit | edit source]
The French and Indian War was fought mainly between Great Britain and France and involved their colonies. In Europe, the French and Indian War was called the Seven Years War.
- Map of the North American colonies just before the war (1750)
- Jean S. Morris. Locating your French & Indian War ancestors. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania : J.S. Morris, 1994. FHL 973 H23m
- Seymour I. Schwartz. The French and Indian War 1754-1763 : the imperial struggle for North America.New York, New York : Simon & Schuster, c1994. FHL 973 M2ss
- Walter S. Hough. Braddock's road through the Virginia Colony.Winchester, Virginia : Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, c1970. 975.5 M2 v. 7
Records[edit | edit source]
- 13 colonies (British)
- French colonies
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
- Great Britain
General Society of Colonial Wars
The General Society of Colonial Wars was established in 1893. Membership in the society requires that the member be a male at least 18 years of age and be able to show direct lineage to an ancestor who served in the Colonial Wars. See General Society of Colonial Wars for more information on the society and its records.
During the French and Indian War, many colonists served in local militias. Because these were local units and not part of the British Army, any surviving records are in historical societies and state libraries and archives.
The best indexes and records are by state, county or town rather than by country. To find them:
- Do a Place Search for the state in the FamilySearch Catalog.
- On the Topic List, click on Military - French and Indian War.
- For additional records, try a Place Search for the county or town also.
- Albert C. Bates, ed. Rolls of Connecticut men in the French and Indian War, 1755-1762. 2 volumes Hartford, Connecticut : Connecticut Historical Society, 1903-1905 FHL 974.6 B4c Collections of the Connecticut Historical Society, v. 9 & 10
- Henry C. Peden, Jr. Marylanders and Delawareans in the French and Indian War, 1756-1763.Lewes, Delaware : Colonial Roots, c2004. FHL 975.2 M2pe
- Massachusetts State Archives. French and Indian War muster roll index cards, 1603-1779
- K. David Goss, Davis Zarowin, ed. Massachusetts officers and soldiers in the French and Indian Wars, 1755-1756.Boston, Massachusetts : Society of Colonial Wars in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1985. 974.4 M2mo
- Robert E. MacKay, ed. Massachusetts soldiers in the French and Indian wars, 1744-1755.Boston, Massachusetts : Society of Colonial Wars in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, c1978. FHL 974.4 M2mc
- by Nancy S. Voye, ed. Massachusetts officers in the French and Indian wars, 1748-1763.Boston, Massachusetts: Society of Colonial Wars in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, c1975. FHL 974.4 M2v
- Massachusetts State Archives. French and Indian War muster roll index cards, 1603-1779. FHL 51 rolls
- New Jersey State Library. New Jersey records; French and Indian war, 1757-1764. FHL DGS 7723988
- Muster rolls of New York provincial troops, 1755-1764.New York, New York : New York Historical Society, 1892 Digital Book
- Howard M. Chapin. Rhode Island in the colonial wars; a list of Rhode Island soldiers & sailors in the old French & Indian War, 1755-1762.Providence, Rhode Island : Rhode Island Historical Society, 1918. FHL 974.5 M2c Digital
A book for information on military land grants awarded to veterans of the French and Indian War is:
- "Calendar of Warrants For Land in Kentucky, Granted for Service in the French and Indian War" (FHL 976.9 R21t 2001)
- Struggle For Empire: A Bibliography of the French and Indian War (FHL book 973 M23b, vol. 7) by James G Lydon. This book is arranged by topics and is a bibliography with brief annotations of books and articles relating to the French and Indian War.
Websites[edit | edit source]
The following have maps about the French and Indian War:
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, French and Indian War, (accessed 31 March 2012).
- Family History Library US/Canada Consultants, "French and Indian War, History and Maps" inLAD Release 4.1, Family History Library, 2004, mjm.