Free State Province, South Africa Genealogy
|South Africa Wiki Topics|
|South Africa Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The FamilySearch moderator for the South Africa is Daniel Jones.
Guide to Province of Free State family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 Historical Overview
- 2 Records
- 2.1 Cemeteries
- 2.2 Census
- 2.3 Church records
- 2.4 Civil Registration
- 2.5 Immigration/Emigration
- 2.6 Genealogy
- 2.7 Land records
- 2.8 Occupations
- 2.9 Probate records
- 2.10 School records
- 2.11 Tax records
- 3 Websites
- 4 Further Reading
- 5 References
The capital of Free State is Bloemfontein, which is also South Africa's judicial capital. Its historical origins lie in the Orange Free State Boer republic and later Orange Free State Province. The current borders of the province date from 1994 when the Bantustans were abolished and reincorporated into South Africa.
- Free Statia: reminiscences of a lifetime in the Orange Free State - Available on microfilm at the Family History Library and some Family history centers.
List of cities and towns in the Free State.
Maps and gazetteers
Free State, South Africa Cemeteries - War graves project.
Bethelem Cemetery - Van Heerden Family Tree listings
Grave yards in Free State (The Genealogical Society of South Africa)
Find A Grave records for Free State, South Africa
Dutch Reformed Church (NGK)
The Dutch Reform Church records collection on FamilySearch includes records from 1848 to 1956.
- 1690-2011 - South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Records (Stellenbosch Archive), 1690-2011 at FamilySearch — index and images
Dutch Reformed Church (NHK)
Reformed Church (GK)
Parish registers, Catholic Church, Mission, Tempe (Orange Free State), 1869-1930 - microfilm available at the Family History Library and some Family history centers.
Births, marriages, and deaths began to be registered in 1902.
- Civil registration (marriages - blacks), Orange Free State, 1931-1955.
- Civil registration (marriages - whites, coloureds and Indians), Orange Free State, 1931-1955.
- Civil registration (marriages), Orange Free State, 1848-1899.
- Civil registration (marriages), Orange Free State, 1929-1930.
Orange Free State (South Africa). Land Board - Property claims, confiscations and forfeitures, 1853-1866.
See here for a description of what death notices are and where they are located.
- 1951 - 2006 South Africa, Orange Free State, Estate Files, 1951-2006 at FamilySearch — Images of estate files from The Master of Supreme Court in Bloemfontein.
- Index of Surnames for complete files in the 1951 Free State Estate Files collection on familysearch.org
- The Family History Library has microfilm of Estate files, Orange Free State, 1832-1989.
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Southern Africa,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1987-1998.