Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Franklin Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1843|
|Address|| Franklin Parish Clerk of Court|
6550 Main Street
Winnsboro, LA 71295
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Benjamin Franklin. The County has Winnsboro as its seat and the County was created 1843. The County is located in the northeast area of the state.
Franklin Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
- 1843--Franklin Parish was created 1 March 1843 from Catahoula, Ouachita and Madison Parishes. Parish seat: Winnsboro 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Franklin Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Franklin Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Franklin Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Franklin Parish Census Data|
- Franklin Parish Census Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Franklin Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Franklin Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Index to Franklin Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Search for Louisiana Land Records. Interface to the Pre-1908 Homestead and Cash Entry Patents from the Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office (GLO) Automated Records Project. Courtesy of LAGenWeb
Local histories are available for Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Franklin Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of Jan 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Franklin Parish Casualties, WWII (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Franklin Parish News & Miscellaneous Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1800-1969 - Franklin Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1970-Present - Franklin Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Index to Franklin Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Franklin Parish Birth Records (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Franklin Parish Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
- Franklin Parish and State Library Links (LAGenWeb Project)
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Franklin Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Franklin Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Franklin Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Franklin Parish Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Franklin Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genelaogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Franklin, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin Parish, Louisana page 290, At various libr40ries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Franklin Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22041.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.