Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Franklin Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1843|
|Address||Franklin Parish Clerk of Court|
6550 Main Street
Winnsboro, LA 71295
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Benjamin Franklin. The County has Winnsboro as its seat and the County was created 1843. The County is located in the northeast area of the state.
Franklin Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
- 1843--Franklin Parish was created 1 March 1843 from Catahoula, Ouachita and Madison Parishes. Parish seat: Winnsboro 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
- Franklin Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Franklin Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Franklin Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana, by city (Church Angel)
- Franklin Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
- Franklin Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Index to Franklin Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Search for Louisiana Land Records. Interface to the Pre-1908 Homestead and Cash Entry Patents from the Bureau of Land Management's General Land Office (GLO) Automated Records Project. (Courtesy of LAGenWeb)
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1883 - Franklin Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of Jan 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1920 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Franklin Parish Casualties, WWII (USGenWeb Archives)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- Franklin Parish News & Miscellaneous Records (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- 1800-1969 - Franklin Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1970-Present - Franklin Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Index to Franklin Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Birth[edit | edit source]
- Franklin Parish Birth Records (Genealogy Trails)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Franklin Parish Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
- Franklin Parish and State Library Links (USGenWeb Project)
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Franklin Parish, Louisiana (LAGenWeb)
- Franklin Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Franklin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Franklin Parish Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Franklin Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genelaogy)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Franklin, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin Parish, Louisana page 290, At various libr40ries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Franklin Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Parish,_Louisiana, accessed 1 January 2020.