Franklin County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Franklin County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Franklin County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||February 8, 1832|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Land
- 5.6 Local Histories
- 5.7 Maps
- 5.8 Military
- 5.9 Newspapers
- 5.10 Probate
- 5.11 Taxation
- 5.12 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Franklin County, Florida Record Dates
Franklin County Courthouse
33 Market Street
Apalchicola, FL 32320
County Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records. 
The county was named for Benjamin Franklin. The County Seat is Apalachicola and the county was created February 8, 1832. The County is located in the Northwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1887 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
The following are locations in the county:
The following web site may have additional information on Franklin County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Franklin County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- 1935 State Census
- 1945 State Census
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Franklin County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Franklin County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Franklin County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Franklin County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration (A-K) (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - 1918 - Franklin County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration (L-Z) (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Franklin County World War II Army Enlistees, Names Adams - Kowitz (USGenWeb Archives)
- Franklin County World War II Army Enlistees, Names Lahon - Zingarelli (USGenWeb Archives)
- Franklin County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Franklin County Korean War Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Franklin County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Franklin County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Franklin County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 Florida Probate Records 1784-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1810 – 1974 Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Franklin County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Franklin County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Franklin County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Franklin County, USGenWeb Archives
- Franklin County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Franklin County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Franklin County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Franklin County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Franklin County, Florida," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_County%2C_Florida, accessed 14 September 2018.