Fort Sill Apache Tribe
To get started on American Indian Research
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Fort Sill Apache Tribe of Oklahoma
Rt. 2, Box 121
Apache, OK 73006
Fort Sill Apaches include members of the Warm Springs Band of Apache and the Chiricahua Apaches. This group is often referred to as Chief Geronimo's Band of Apaches.
History[edit | edit source]
Victorio was the Chief who took a group of forty warriors on the war path in protest over the tribe's being moved to a reservation located at San Carlos, Arizona from their New Mexico reservation.
Geronimo assumed command of the group of Apaches. He carried the Indian warfare until August 1886 when General Nelson A. Miles forced him to surrender.
Geronimo and his followers were taken prisoner of war and imprisoned at Fort Marion and Pensacola, Florida.
Many imprisoned members died the first year and the tribe was removed to Mount Vernon Barracks, Alabama for seven years.
1894: Geronimo and his band were brought from Alabama to Fort Sill, Oklahoma, Indian Territory.
1909 Geronimo died, and is buried in the Apache Cemetery near Fort Sill, Oklahoma
1913 some were alloted land in Oklahoma; others moved to the Mescalero Reservation in New Mexico.
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
Additional References to the History of the Tribe and/or Band[edit | edit source]
Reservations[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
Land Records[edit | edit source]
Allotted land: 3,044.25 acres. Tribally owned land: 38.65 acres. 
Important Websites[edit | edit source]
- Fort Sill Apache Tribe
- Fort Sill Apache Tribe Wikipedia
- Constitution and By-Laws of the Fort Sill Apache Tribe of Oklahoma
References[edit | edit source]
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2 page 224
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2 page 223
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published