Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Floyd County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Floyd County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1799|
- 1 Floyd County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Floyd County Kentucky History
- 3 Floyd County Kentucky Places / Localities
- 4 Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biographies, Family Histories, Gedcom Files, Genealogies etc.
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy References
Floyd County Kentucky Courthouse
Floyd County Kentucky History
1820 Perry County was created from Clay and Floyd counties.
1821 Pike County was created from Floyd County.
1821 Lawrence County was created from Floyd and Greenup counties
1822 Morgan County was created from Floyd and Bath Counties.
1843 Johnson County was created from Floyd, Lawrence and Morgan Counties.
1860 Magoffin County was created from Floyd, Johnson and Morgan counties.
1870 Martin County was created from Floyd, Lawrence, Johnson, and Pike counites.
1884 Knott County was created from Breathitt, Floyd, Letcher, and Perry counties.
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1808-- A disaster destroyed some records.
Floyd County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Brainard||Goodloe||New Allen||West Garrett|
|Cliff||Hi Hat||Porter Junction||Witaker|
Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories, Gedcom Files, Genealogies etc.
- [Huff] Pratt, Warren C. "Finding the Father of Henry Pratt of Southeastern Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 100, No. 2 (June 2012):85-103. Digital version at NGS website ($); FHL Book 973 B2ng.
- [Pratt] Pratt, Warren C. "Finding the Father of Henry Pratt of Southeastern Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 100, No. 2 (June 2012):85-103. Digital version at NGS website ($); FHL Book 973 B2ng.
The following web sites have additional information on Floyd county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- ePodunk list of Floyd County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- africanamericancemeteries gives a partial listing of cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Floyd Co., KY Census Records at KYGenWeb, Floyd County page.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Kentucky: State Board of Elections-County Clerks has contact information on all Kentucky County Clerks. Scroll down to find desired county or use the index at the top of the page.
Kentucky Court of Justice, Floyd County has contact information for Floyd County, Kentucky Circuit Court Clerk.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Floyd County, Kentucky at Wikipedia
Kentucky Digital Map Library Scroll down the page for links to early Floyd County maps.
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950- Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 1st Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Rifles (Confederate). Companies A, B, C, and D.
- - 13th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate), Company F.
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate), Company A.
- - Dudley's Independent Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate), Company A.
- - Fields' Company, Kentucky Partisan Rangers (Confederate), Company B.
- - Fields' Company, Kentucky Partisan Rangers (Confederate), Company C.
- - Fields' Company, Kentucky Partisan Rangers (Confederate), Company D.
Civil War Battles
The following Civil War battles were fought in Floyd County:
- November 8-9, 1861 = Ivy Mountain, also known as Ivy Creek, Ivy Narrows
- January 10, 1862 = Middle Creek
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1860-1983 - Will Books A to E (1860-1983) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records..
- 1852-1859 - Floyd County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517331 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Floyd County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C517332 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875-1876 - Floyd County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517333 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1911-1920 - KYGenWeb, Floyd County page for excel files of Floyd County births 1911-1920]
- Floyd Births at KYGenWeb, Floyd County page.
- 1609-2016 - Kentucky, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1808-1844 - Marriage License of Floyd County Kentucky From 1808-1844
- 1855-1859 - Floyd County Marriage Index 1855-1859. Batch M517331 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875-1876 - Floyd County Marriage Index 1875-1876. Batch M517334 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1878 - Floyd County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517335 at FamilySearch - free.
- Floyd Co. Marriages at KYGenWeb, Floyd County page.
- 1911-1963 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1963 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Deaths at KYGenWeb, Floyd County page.
Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Floyd County Historical and Genealogical Society
P. O. Box 982
Prestonsburg, KY 41653
Family History Centers =
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Floyd County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- KYGenWeb, Floyd County page.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Floyd County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
Floyd County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Floyd County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.