Flintshire, Wales Genealogy
|Flintshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Flintshire, Wales ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Historic Flintshire[edit | edit source]
Flintshire (Welsh: Sir y Fflint) was one of thirteen historic counties of Wales. It was notable as having several exclaves and being the smallest county in Wales. It was a maritime county bounded to the north by the Irish Sea, to the east by the Dee estuary, to the south-east by Cheshire (England) and to the south and west by Denbighshire. The largest of its exclaves, the Maelor Saesneg (the English speaking Maelor), was bounded on the west by Denbighshire, on the east by Cheshire (England), and on the south by Shropshire (England). Other exclaves of Flintshire included the manors of Marford and Hoseley, Abenbury Fechan and Bryn Estyn, all on the outskirts of Wrexham in Denbighshire, and also a small part of the parish of Erbistock in Denbighshire. Additionally, a small part of Flintshire, including the village of Sealand, was isolated across the River Dee when its course was changed to improve navigation.
The county was formed in 1284 under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan and included the cantrefi (hundreds) of Tegeingl and the Maelor Saesneg formerly parts of the Welsh kingdoms of Gwynedd and Powys Fadog. It included the Lordships of Mold, Hawarden, Mostyn and Hope.
The county town was Mold.
Chapman Code: FLN
1974-1996 Clwyd[edit | edit source]
Modern Flintshire[edit | edit source]
Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Clwyd was itself abolished and the present county of Flintshire was created on April 1, 1996. This covers a substantially different area from the old county of Flintshire however. The former exclave of Maelor Saesneg became part of the newly formed county borough of Wrexham and the north-west districts of the old county of Flintshire, including Prestatyn, Rhyl and St Asaph became part of the newly created county of Denbighshire. Mold continued to be the county town.
Parishes[edit | edit source]
- See a list of the parishes in Flintshire with links to their pages.
- Interactive map of Flintshire Parishes.
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1542-1911 - Wales Court and Miscellaneous Records, 1542-1911 at FamilySearch — images
- 1650-1900 - Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900 at FamilySearch — index
- 1678-2001 - Wales, Parish Registers, 1678-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index
Topics[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Flintshire Resources and Help pages RootsChat Flintshire Resources and Help pages. (Free).
- NorthWalesBMD indexes 1837-1950
- Clwyd Family History Society
- Rootsweb Flintshire board
- BBC Wales north-east genealogy
- Wrexham Open Church Network Graveyard Search. Currently available for Bangor is y Coed (St. Dunawd's Church), Bettisfield (St. John the Baptist`s Church), Hanmer (St Chad's Church) and Tallarn Green (St Mary Magdalene's Church).