Finland, Old Collection of Accounts (FamilySearch Historical Records)
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of general and judicial documents, lists of fines, bailiff's accounts by provinces, special lists of persons employed in the collection of State taxes and annual accounts rendered by "Castle Provinces," taxation and rentals of estates, lists of soldiers and officers, etc. The collection covers the years 1531 to 1634.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Content of the records varies. You may find any of the following:
- Name or names of primary individuals
- Date and nature of the court case
- Names of family members or witnesses
- Description of property
- Monies exchanged
- Birth, death or marriage details
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know
- Name of your ancestor
- Identifying information such as residence
To search the collection
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the "Locality"
⇒ Select the "Volume Description" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
For example, use the name and parish of residence to search for baptism, confirmation, marriage and death records in the church records
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, Now What?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby parishes and communities.
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- “Finland, Old Collection of Accounts, 1531-1634.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing National Archives Service of Finland, Helsinki, Finland.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.