Felixkirk, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Felixkirk, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Thirsk|
|Parish registers: 1598|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598; Separate records exist for Felixkirk Holy Trinity beginning 1600|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
FELIX-KIRK (St. Felix), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Thirsk; comprising the townships of Boltby, Felix-Kirk, Sutton-under-WhitestoneCliffe, and Thirlby; and containing 931 inhabitants, of whom 119 are in the township of Felix-Kirk. 
Felixkirk with Boltby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Other places in the parish include: Boldby, Boltby, Felixkirk Holy Trinity, Whitestone Cote, Sutton under Whitstone Cliffe, Thirlby, and Sutton under Whitestone Cliffe.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Felixkirk like this:
FELISKIRK, or Felixkirk, a township and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies under the Hambleton hills, 3¾ miles NE of Thirsk r. station. Acres, 1, 170. Real property, £1, 561. Pop., 111. Houses, 21. The parish contains also the townships of Thirlby, Boltby, and Sutton-under-Whitstone-Cliffe; and its post town is Thirsk. Acres, 8, 381. Real property, £10, 466. Pop., 878. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. Mount St. John here, now belonging to the Elsley family, was anciently the site of a preceptory of the Knights of St. John. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £450. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1860; and was constructed on the model of the previous church, which had a Norman chancel and an early English nave. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of Felixkirk exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|IARC = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ANC = ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£)|
|FELIXKIRK PARISH (1718) Online Records|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Warrington-Padgate Christ Church and comprising the whole ancient parish of Felixkirk to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the FELIXKIRK PARISH page.
Deposited regiseters at the North Yorkshire Record Office
1598, 1600-1602, 1604, 1605, 1613, 1617, 1632-1641, 1661-1663, 1666,1668, 1673, 1677-1686, 1688, 1689, 1692, 1694-1698, 1700-1709, 1711-1716, 1718-1791, 1793-1805, 1807-1809, 1811-1844, 1847-1850, 1856-1859, 1861- 1866
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1598.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 225-228. Date Accessed: 11 November 2013