Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Feliciana is a Spanish word meaning Happy Land. It originated in 1775 and was named by Spanish Governor Galvez. The town of Jackson was founded in 1815 as the Seat of Justice for Feliciana Parish before the parish was divided into East and West. The town also served as a land office and as a center for learning and culture. Legend holds that the town was originally called Bear Corners for the many wild black bears crossing nearby Thompson's Creek, and that it eventually took its name from General Andrew Jackson, who reportedly camped there with his troops on a return trip north.