Fayston, Washington County, Vermont Genealogy
Fayston was chartered on February 27, 1782 by the Vermont State Legislature. The town was organized in 1805, and by 1860, about one-third of Fayston's "heads of household" were people born in Ireland.
Until the rise in popularity of downhill skiing (two major ski areas in Fayston; Mad River Glen and Mt. Ellen), the mountainous western half was valueless except for timber. There is no indication as to why such an insignificant (at the time) parcel was named for the Fays, a family which figured so prominently in the founding of the state, nor is there any indication as to what the family thought of having a town named for them. While they were among the grantees of several Vermont towns, they are not among those of Fayston.   
The history of the towns of Plainfield, Roxbury and Fayston, Abby Maria Hemenway (1882) - view a digital copy of this book online.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Fayston is Washington.
Washington District Probate Court
10 Elm St. #3
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-3405
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Fayston. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Washington County, website at this link.
- Center Fayston Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- North Fayston Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- South Fayston Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1800-1941, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Fayston Town Clerk's Office. These include Deeds, 1782-1853; index to deeds, 1805-1887.
Fayston Town Offices
866 N Fayston Rd.
Fayston , VT 05660
Phone: (802) 496-2454
Libraries and Historical Societies
- About Fayston, VT - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/fayston.html#about
- Fayston History (from the Fayston Town Plan)- http://www.faystonvt.com/history.php
- Town of Fayston - http://usgenwebsites.org/VTGenWeb/Washington-Co-VT.htm#fayston