Faribault County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Faribault County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Faribault County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|County Seat||Blue Earth|
|Address|| Faribault County Courthouse|
415 North Main Street
Blue Earth, MN 56013
Faribault County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Jean-Baptiste Faribault, a settler and French fur trader among the Sioux Indians. The County is located in the south central area of the state.
Faribault County, Minnesota Record Dates
Court Administrator has birth, marriage, divorce and probate from 1870,
Court records from 1950 and naturalization records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1855--Faribault County was created 20 February 1855 from Blue Earth County. County seat: Blue Earth 
- For a brief history of how Faribault County was named, click here. Then select Faribault County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Barber Township | Blue Earth City Township | Brush Creek Township | Clark Township | Delavan Township | Dunbar Township | Elmore Township | Emerald Township | Foster Township | Jo Daviess Township | Kiester Township | Lura Township | Minnesota Lake Township | Pilot Grove Township | Prescott Township | Rome Township | Seely Township | Verona Township | Walnut Lake Township | Winnebago City Township
Clayton | Guckeen | Homedahl | Huntley
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Faribault County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of Cedar Creek Lutheran Church, Hayfield, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Silo (Shiloh) Lutheran Church, Elmore
- Records of Silo (Shiloh) Lutheran Church, Elmore, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
South Blue Earth Lutheran Church, Bricelyn
- Records of South Blue Earth Lutheran Church, Bricelyn, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Wells, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Faribault – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Faribault County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Faribault County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Faribault County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Companies B and K.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Heavy Artillery, Company F.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies H and K.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies C and F.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company D.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Faribault County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- To find if your town's newspaper is in the collection of the Minnesota Historical Society in St. Paul, you can click on the link to find their catalog of newspaper holdings. They also sell microfilm copies of their newspaper holdings.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Faribault County Recorder (fee for copies)
Societies and Libraries
Faribault County Historical Society
405 E. Sixth Street
Blue Earth 56013
Bricelyn Area Historical Society
309 N. Main Street
Bricelyn, MN 56014
Minnesota Lake Area Historical Society
Kremer House (mailing)Box 225
Minnesota Lake, MN 56068
Winnebago Area Historical Society
36 North Main Street, Box 218
18 1st Street N.E. (museum)
Winnebago, MN 56098
Elmore Area Historical Society
108 South Henry St
Elmore MN 56027
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Faribault County Historical Society
405 East 6th Street
Blue Earth, MN 56013
- Faribault County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- The Faribault County MNGenWeb Project, a member of The MNGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List: Faribault County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Faribault County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faribault_County,_Minnesota accessed 12 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Faribault County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.