Family History Library/Group Visit Options
Family History Library Group Visit Options
The Family History Library looks forward to hosting your group. We hope that you will have a great learning experience. Read through the different experiences that we offer and how to register for a group visit.
Fun, Engaging, and Interactive Experiences for Families, Youth and Adults
Here are some of the options, please note some of the classes require that you have a FamilySearch Account and/or a FamilySearch Family Tree already created, your family or group can choose to do while at the Library. You can select a specific option, or mix and match activities to the interests of your family or group. Note: We do not offer tours of the Library.
- Discovery Center: Discover your story through fun, engaging, interactive experiences. Discover, picture, and record your story; see yourself in the clothing of an ancestor; or take photos with various backdrops and more! Discovery Experience Video (FamilySearch Account & FamilySearch Family Tree Recommended)
- Search Historical Records Online: For the beginning FamilySearch user, learn how to search through historical records on Familysearch.org and other online databases to find your ancestors. (30-60 minutes)
- Build a FamilySearch Family Tree: For the beginning FamilySearch Family Tree user, learn how to build your FamilySearch Family Tree in a highly-interactive, fun presentation. (60 minutes) (FamilySearch Account Recommended)
- FamilySearch Indexing: Learn how to index using the FamilySearch Indexing software as an opportunity to give back to the community. (60 minutes) (FamilySearch Account Required)
- Finding a Descendant: For the more experienced FamilySearch user, learn how to use descendancy research to find your cousins. If this is your first time, we recommend you try our Search Historical Records Online presentation. (60 minutes) (FamilySearch Account & FamilySearch Family Tree Required)
- Boy Scout Genealogy merit badge workshop: The Family History Library offers a monthly Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge workshop, on the third Saturday of each month. Prior registration is required to attend. For more information see Genealogy merit badge workshop
Family History Research Classes
In addition to the above options, classes are taught almost every day on how to do research in various geographical areas. Click Patron Class Schedule to see what classes are being offered during your visit (approximately 60 minutes per class).
Make a Reservation
To make a reservation for a group Discovery Experience at the Family History Library click on https://familysearch.org/discovery/ and choose Salt Lake (FHL). To reserve a classroom for any of the other group activities, use the Online Registration Form. Do this at least one week in advance of your planned visit. Click Library Hours to see the Library's hours and holiday schedule.
Prepare for Your Visit
Here are some tips that will make your group’s visit to the Family History Library a great experience:
- Obtain a FamilySearch Account in advance. If your groups plans to learn about how to use FamilySearch Family Tree, you will have a much more productive experience if all of the members of your group obtain a FamilySearch Account (either an LDS account or FamilySearch account) before coming to the library. Go to the FamilySearch account link previously mentioned to obtain an account. When you come to the library, be sure to have each member of your group brings his or her username and password.
- Bring genealogical information. Have each member of your group bring some genealogical information about his or her family. For example, who in your family do you want to find more information about? If you have a specific name, a place where they came from, and an estimated birth, marriage or death date, your searching will be more successful.
- Bring enough leaders to help children and youth. If your group is primarily composed of children or youth, have enough leaders to help them have a fun and productive experience while at the same time maintaining respect for other guests in the library.
We look forward to your visit!