Family History Library/B2 Floor
The B2 Floor of the Family History Library is known as the British Isles Research Floor. You will come to this floor for researching in the British Isles, Australia, and New Zealand. There are many things to do on this floor. Click on the portion of the map that you want to learn more about.
Stop at the Information Desk to get your research questions answered. The volunteers and missionaries here will get you started with your research and find someone to help you.
B2 Computer Lab
This computer lab has 27 computers programmed as research computers. They have access to the subscription websites and everything else available on the research computers on the floor.
You can reserve this room for your own presentation or even for a group presentation from the Family History Library. To learn more about reserving the computer lab go to Group Visit Options on the FamilySearch Wiki. All reservations are based upon availability.
This room is also used for classes taught by our research specialists and missionaries. To view the class schedule or listen to past classes go to Family History Library Classes and Webinars on the FamilySearch Wiki.
Throughout the years there have been many different styles of microfilm readers available. On the B2 Floor we have 65 different types of readers available for your use. Types of available readers:
- 40 Right-Hand Readers
- 2 Left-Hand Readers
- 7 Mechanical Readers
- 6 42x Magnification Right-Hand Readers
- 3 65x Magnification Right-Hand Readers
- 1 65x Magnification Left-Hand Reader
- 2 Handicap Readers (Films are placed below Rather than above.)
- 4 Microfiche Readers
This floor contains microfilms found from the British Isles, Australia, and New Zealand. Some of the languages that you can find among these films are: English, Welsh, and Latin. You can make copies of documents you find on microfilms at the Copy Center.
The books on this floor cover a range of topics. Topics include: Record extracts, histories, gazetteers, resource material, and much more. You can find the call number information in the FamilySearch Catalog or even just wander through the stacks.
Here are the services found at the Copy Center on the B2 Floor:
- 6 Proscanner Microfilm Readers (These allow you take a microfilm and either print what you have found or save it to a flash drive. We ask that you spend no longer than 30 minutes on these machines.)
- 1 Zeta Book Scanner
- Vending machine where you can buy Print Cards ($2, $5, $10, or $20), 8GB Flashdrives ($6), and headphones ($1)
- Money Exchange: This machine will give $5.00 bills.
- There are 24 free lockers for you to store your personal items. All lockers must be emptied at the end of the day.
- Ask your questions about where to find microfilms or books in the collection.
- There are 3 printers available throughout the floor for your use.
To reach a Research Specialist, talk to the volunteer at the pager desk. Our specialists can help you with research methodology, record extraction, reading the old handwriting, and even reading records in another language.
There are 73 research computers available on the B2 Floor. When the computers shut down all memory is wiped. Please make sure to save your work often. These computers are programmed with access to many subscription websites as well as different genealogy programs. Here is a list of some of the more popular websites and programs:
- Legacy (Family History Program)
- Personal Ancestral File (PAF)
- and many more!
There are 2 computers that are used for CD access. To find the computers please talk to a volunteer.
These computers also connect to 3 printers available on the floor, so you can print what you find on the computer. Remember that you will need a copy card from the vending machine found at the Copy Center.
Family Tree Escalation Support
There are some cases that you might need extra help in solving FamilySearch Family Tree issues. On Monday-Friday 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM you can receive help with these issues from our Family Tree Escalation Support. Here is a list of problems that are subject to escalation:
- B,C,I, & E Show "Completed": No date or temple are recorded.
- Gender Issues: A record in Family Tree has the wrong gender. (Try fixing this yourself before coming down.)
- "Ghost Parents": SP date and temple show, but parents are not listed.
- Hijacked Record: A record with information changed to imitate another person.
- Living/Deceased Status: Resolution (you must have documentation).
- Membership Issues: Add/Delete BIC, Create/Correct Record for deceased individuals ONLY.
- Merging Issues: Determine why 2 or more possible duplicates cannot be merged.
- Ordinance Dates: Missing or Incorect
- Photos/Documents Posted Incorrectly
- "Read Only" Persons: Determine why a record is Read Only.
- Reservation Issues/Stuck Ordinances
- Separating Records: Report incorrectly combined records for future action.
- Policy Violation: Reporting abuse