Family History Library/3rd Floor
The 3rd Floor of the Family History Library is known as the Getting Started and United States & Canada Books. If this is your first time to the library and/or your first experience with family history, come to this floor. There are many things to do on this floor. Click on the portion of the map that you want to learn more about.
Stop at the Information Desk to get a volunteer to help you get started with your research. The volunteers and missionaries here will get you started with your research and find someone to help you.
Reserve one of our glass classrooms for your group to use when you're here. This room can hold up to 8 people. It is also equipped with a network cable and power outlet found in the center of the table. All reservations are based upon availability.
Here are the services found at the Copy Center on the 3rd Floor:
- Vending machine where you can buy Print Cards ($2, $5, $10, or $20), 8GB Flashdrives ($6), and headphones ($1)
- Money Exchange: This machine will give $5.00 bills.
- There are 75 free lockers for you to store your personal items. All lockers must be emptied at the end of the day.
- Ask your questions about where to find books in the collection.
- You can also print the color temple cards at the Copy Center window. You will need a Family Ordinance Request (FOR) already printed.
- There are 5 printers available throughout the floor for your use.
Lost & Found
This is found at the Copy Center window. Each morning the previous days lost & found is collected and delivered to this window. If you lost an item earlier in the day please go to the Copy Center window on the floor you believe to have lost the item.
There are many types of scanners available for your use. Here are the specifics to each available scanner:
- 5 Flatbed Scanners (4 are on the tables and one in the Copy Center)
- 5 Kodak Photo Scanners (4 are on the tables and one in the Copy Center)
- 1 Zeta Book Scanner (This overhead scanner is available in the Copy Center. You must have a flashdrive to use this scanner)
- 1 Slide Scanner (Go to the Copy Center window for instructions on how to use this scanner.)
There are 82 research computers available on the 3rd Floor. When the computers shut down all memory is wiped. Please make sure to save your work often. These computers are programmed with access to many subscription websites as well as different genealogy programs. Here is a list of some of the more popular websites and programs:
- Legacy (Family History Program)
- Personal Ancestral File (PAF)
- and many more!
There are also 2 computers that can be used for accessing many of the CD databases available at the library. Ask a volunteer or missionary how to use these computers.
These computers also connect to the 5 printers available on the floor, so you can print what you find on the computer. Remember that you will need a copy card from the vending machine found at the Copy Center.
Books & Serials
The available books cover the United States and Canada. You can find County Histories, Census extracts, Passport information and many more. We also have many genealogical publications. These publications include the National Genealogical Society Quarterly, society publications, and more. There are also 2 book magnifiers available for those who have trouble reading the words.
Maps & Pedigree Charts
There are 5 cabinets full of maps from different eras of the United States and Canada. Also in this area you will find 2 cabinets of Pedigree Charts from around the world.