FamilySearch Wiki talk:WikiProject Utah Tasks Newspapers
Questions about ROAK and "non existing" pages. [Old talk scheduled to be removed/archived]
Okay, I attempted the newspaper task for Davis county. Went well till the end, then had 2 issues:
First, "List by Town" for Davis apparently doesn't exist. Is there a task written for how to make one...or just a blank table/spreadsheet wiki page I could copy and rename to the Davis list and then start writing in the rows???
- The "list by town" part does create a page that does not yet exist. I will do the task in Excel and create the actual pages. You are just creating the link to a blank page. I'll fix the task list to point that out. AdkinsWH 19:04, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
Second, the "Newspapers...google books...worldcast" bullet doesn't line up the bullets of the new template source code.....some RAOGKobituary code thing between them...does that piece of code do anything????
- The RAOGK code is for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. They wanted to leave those where they are for now, since that may revitalize. Sooo, the best thing to do is add breaks <br> to put those templates below your stuff. If that template is in the section above newspapers, then put some <br>'s before the Newspapers heading so it won't interfere. AdkinsWH 19:04, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
JanaStokes 18:34, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
- Great questions, Jana. And thanks for doing this!
Talk about improvements to instructions for WikiProject Utah Tasks - Newspapers [Old talk --scheduled to be removed/archived]
Liz Snow 20:39, 11 April 2012 (UTC)I tried the Box Elder County. Here are my questions: 1. I thought the Alt + Tab was confusing since we already have two pages open. Not sure I fixed or helped explain this. Please review. AdkinsWH 22:04, 11 April 2012 (UTC) 2. Step 3 A says to go to the Project and learn the newspapers digitized for the project. I wasn't quite sure what project you were referring to in the beginning of the sentence. Also I think the sentence would be better if it said, " identify" instead of "learn". Is it better now AdkinsWH 22:04, 11 April 2012 (UTC) 3. The part about reviewing anything put in the newspaper heading previously and adapt to our format, is a little ambiguous. What is our format?
- If it applies to the Digital Newspapers project, see if you have already put the info about the newspapers in the indented bullet (names and dates of newspapers.) Add theirs, if appropriate.AdkinsWH 22:04, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
Hope this isn't too critical. I was just trying to help those who might not know everything. Also, on the Box Elder page in the Chronicling America page it doesn't come up with any results. Did I do something wrong? Hope this helps. Liz Snow 20:39, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
- Never too critical, simply trying to improve — exactly what I wanted.AdkinsWH 22:04, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
Note for Wilma when she does "List by Towns" page for Weber co, Utah:
Weber co - Sentinel News is not in Chronicaling America
Do we want to develop a protocol for cordination between newspaper template on county page and existing "X county Newspapers" page?:
Utah co - This county already has a separate Utah County Newspaper page. Yikes--we so haven't covered this issue! See county page and separate Utah co. newsaper page and talk page for how I attempted to handle it
At the 18 Apr Utah Project mtg it was decided:
- At the top of "X county, Utah Newspaper" page we will have cross links to the "x county, Utah" page newspaper section and also to the obiturary section
- On the x county, Utah" pages we will have the final bullet of the newspaper template be a line to "X county, Utah Newspaper" page.
On the "x county, Utah" pages we will have cross (toggle) links between the #Newspaper and #Obituary sections.
JanaStokes 16:15, 18 April 2012 (UTC)
"Current Newspapers" standard practice for:
Jana: finding I tend to put present day newspaper website links that are already on page...at bottom of newspaper template; not that we are really listing things chronologically
Liz Snow: I've been looking at the newspaper task and it doesn't say to add the current newspapers to the newspaper list. So, either we need to talk to Wilma and see if she wants to change the task to include that, or not.
It was decided at the 18 Apr Utah Project mtg:
- If one current newspaper just add as bullet at bottom of list; more than one...then transfer the current newspapers to a " X county, Utah Newspapers" page...creating the page if needed and putting a heading above them entitled "Current Newspapers
JanaStokes 16:15, 18 April 2012 (UTC)
Unresolved blip: if no Utah Digital Newspaper for county, do we leave template bullet?
No Utah Digital sources for Washinton co; but left template in w/ indented bullet "none at present time"; thought might be better than removing altogether??...we did opposite w/ FHL cat template--since there were no links we didn't put in...guess I thought might be greater probabliity that Utah Digit. might soon get a source whereas FHL not so likely..true thought?
JanaStokes 16:45, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
I am not sure what the best thing to do for this problem. It sounds logical to leave the bullet there, but I guess we can ask for more opinions. ---Liz Snow