FamilySearch Wiki talk:Contributor assistance

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bottom section - How to list a dispute

The last section of this page does not seem to fit with the concept I have of Editor assistance. Should this be moved to be part of the "Request for comments" process? --Steve (talk| contribs) 15:07, 10 September 2011 (UTC)

Terminology Issue

I have mentioned in other locations the difficulty with the terminology. Those who participate in the Wiki are called "Users" and "Contributors," but here in the dispute resolution pages they suddenly become Editors. I realize Wikipedia uses the term "Editors" in the context of editing or adding information but also uses the term contributors. It should be clear that when we are speaking of Editors, we also mean contributors. From the tone of this page it sounds as if we are referring to editors as being different from contributors. See for example, Help:Edit and Contribute — Preceding unsigned comment added by Jamestanner (talk | contribs) 22:03, September 12, 2011 (UTC)

I agree with James we need to be careful not to confuse by using different terms to mean the same thing, but not explaining ourselves - leaving it unsaid may make sense to those familiar but confuse newbies. Most of the content in the dispute resolution pages started out from Wikipedia had developed and they use the term Editor whereas the Research Wiki community uses Contributor more frequently. I am in favour of changing references to Editor to Contributor, so for example this page would become Contributor assistance. --Steve (talk| contribs) 07:38, 13 September 2011 (UTC)