FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 21 Aug 2014
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Our guest speaker, Lisa McBride!
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
- Discussion regarding guest speakers for this meeting. We like it!
- Suggestions for future speakers:
- Members of the Governance Council (Caleb, Guiseppe, Areable, et al)
- James Tanner
- Members of the Community Council (Council in transition)
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group.
- Another tip on computers: I was uninstalling some software yesterday and accidently uninstalled my ethernet drivers. Since I was cut off from the internet, I could not reload them again and had to go to my nearest computer store to install them again. Stupid mistake, so next time you are cleaning up your hard drive and getting rid of some worthless software, think about each uninstall at least twice.
- My computer crashed last Friday. Windows 7 had a problem. My files were ok, thank goodness, but I had to reload all my software. The tip is know where you have your computer software stored so you can find them easily and have them in one place and make sure they are ok. It could get expensive if you have to replace them because you could not find them.
- We need more posting on the FS Wiki Contributors Yammer, please.
Guest Speaker[edit | edit source]
- Lisa McBride, member of the wiki Governance Council. Among her responsibilities is Outreach to Family History Centers.
- Working with Family History Center Directors from Texas, across the Southwest, up the West Coast and British Columbia.
- Focus: Making their Centers comfortable for all family members.
- Some traveling and teaching. Will be teaching a session at the Ogden Family History Conference on September 13, 2014.
- Vision for the Wiki: Potential of becoming one of the most important tool for genealogy research.
- Youth and Young Adult will be using the Wiki and are more able to help us build.
- Q & A
- Q: Should FHC staff be able to add content to the Wiki for their area?
- A: At present FHC's are short on staff and not able to take on a project. However, there is going to be a push or volunteers and that may be helpful. Also, beginning October 1st a newsletter will be going out to FHCs and an article about the Wiki that asks if anyone is interested in contributing or training would be appropriate.
- Q: How do we encourage FHCs to update their own pages.
- A: When the new release occurs, an article in the above mentioned newsletter about editing FHC pages would be helpful. This article would need to be universal because the newsletter will be international. Also, last fall there was a major project to add contact information to all FHC pages. If there are problems, keep track and let Lisa's team know. Wilma's team is adding FHC information to county pages and linking them to the FHC pages.
- Governance Council
- Interested in our problems but they have not set up a way to contact. In the meantime, post to the FS Wiki Contributors group on Yammer or talk to representatives in the FS Wiki Contributors meeting.
- Issues being addressed: Community connection; formation of committees; revisit policy, guidelines, and help pages; identify gaps and guides; and keep current projects going.
- Looking for overall experience for new beginners, contributors and redesign.
- The Governance Council does not replace the Community Council.
- Combining Council with committee activity. Taking on a much more hands-on approach.
- Upgrade testing
- Needs this group to test the upgrade.
- What do we like/dislike
- Capture was sometime last summer
- Visual Editor accessed by edit source when one logs in, easier for beginners.
- Page size is by percentage. Currently at 147%, Charles asked Warren for a global change. Whole page should be 100%, body of page 74%, sidebar 24%.
- Templates and images may need work.
- Need feedback from "power users" rather than general public.
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Items to pose to Community Council
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
(please post below this header)