FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 18 Sep 2014
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Guest Speaker[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group.
- User:Luccagenes/Sandbox/TestPage20 has had 44 replies (not all this week)
- Tip: Footnotes:
- Is there a section of an article that you think needs more explanation but do not want to make the section longer?
- Footnotes are created by using . Place this coding following the place in the sentence or elsewhere where you want to link to the footnote. Then where you want the footnote to appear, install this template:
- tages like so: <ref>Additional information
. Footnotes are very useful particular for the new patron. Use them freely.
- Tip: Check your preferences
- See what items you actually have checked to show when you are searching.
- To get to your preferences, go to your “Personal tools and choose “Preferences.” Then click on “Search options.” The first thing you see on the preference page is Display options. If you want to see more hits per page change it.
- Here is something to share that was shared in today's community meeting. i find it very informative; National Association of Counties
- Here is a page added to the Wiki on how to use the site.
- Kudos to the Wiki: I wanted to give a shout-out to FamilySearch Wiki. I had not had the occasion to look up any information for England for awhile. At the FHC on Tuesday had "tried" to help a patron on Durham, England. I showed her what could be found in the Wiki to help with her research.
- The patron was very impressed with the interactive map - I was too! I love the Wiki and appreciate ALL the contributors. What a wonderful tool we have through FamilySearch!
- This is for those who have some kind of expertise or interest in helping in genealogy research on Facebook. We are in the process of combining several of the too many pages we have for the US and Europe in groups.
- Since our community platform (the one that will substitute Yammer and Facebook) is not yet available, we still want to keep those pages/groups, but we need to start reducing their number.
- Blessed are the Elderly for they remember what we never knew.
- Only a Genealogist regards a step backwards, as progress!
- Tombstone: To follow you I'll not consent, Until I know which way you went.
- Age is a high price to pay for maturity!
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
We have been thinking about the types of records that beginners should check first. We want those records to stand out on a county page.
- Visually stand out
- Not too wordy
- Conveys UNDERSTANDING
We want people to know why these records are so valuable to them
- What the records reveal
- Clues in the records
- People in the records
- How to use them well
- Years of the records
Wilma: View emails of possibilities
Need help from Charles: Couldn't make this work by floating
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
Items to pose to Community Council
Discussions and Proposals[edit | edit source]
To access this table click here. Template:FamilySearch_Wiki:Community_Discussions_and_Proposals
News to be publicized[edit | edit source]
| News to be publicized (on the "Community News" page)|
Insert most recent at the top of list
access Community News
|(New, Review, Final, Rejected, or Posted)|
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
(please post below this header) Suggestions for guest speakers: Jame Tanner again for the Moderator/Adopter meeting, a panel discussion, someone research the moderator role and present. Next week Wilma will not be in attendance. LaVera will host. Charles will present on How to fix a page. Participants are invited to bring a page that need fixing.
The Wiki will be on the Amazon Cloud so the new release may occur earlier than expected.
User:Luccagenes/Sandbox/TestPage20 Jim updated test20 page in accordance with some suggestions. The rest of the suggestions would require a lot of work. He suggests a "test" page be developed that everyone who wants changes can make them. He also suggests that since the new version's release is imminent that the work be done on the wider page instead of the present format.
- Caleb will discuss this issue with Giuseppe and Danielle and report back.
Charles reminded us to remove the check from "Search all name spaces" box, because it overrides the selections below. Charles asked what "Disable AJAX suggestions" meant. Actually it should say "Enable Search Suggestions". This is the feature that provides the drop down box as a subject, place or keyword is begun in the search box.
Here is a page added to the Wiki on how to use the site. Wilma created this page in a hurry. Request someone else work on it. * Jane Colmenares volunteered.
Kudo from Yammer was read:
- Jane will pass this along to the team that worked on the pages.
- There is only one FaceBook missionary so help from others would be appreciated. We can answer questions, post something from the Wiki, etc
- Suggestion that we have another guest speaker to draw them in.
- Suggestion that day-to-day issues be addressed.
- Why are adopters not participating discussion.
- Did they signed up just to get there name out there?
- Did they hope to get more traffic for their site?
- New officers of organizations lack interest or are not aware of the obligation?
- When they signed up were they told they only needed to monitor the page, not add content because the pages were done?
- Are they not receiving e-mails alerting them to changes. The system requires they not only look at the revision but they also need to sign in.
- Jane was asked why she has stayed active and she stated it was the one-on-one relationship with Nathan and having tasks to complete.
In the spirit of helping beginners but not getting in the way of seasoned researchers, Wilma's team has been thinking about the types of records that beginners should check first. Suggests a "Diamond" page that stands out from the rest,
- Charles will assist Wilma in developing the page,
Meeting closed at this time.