FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 11 Sep 2014
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Kudos go to[edit | edit source]
Business/Announcements[edit | edit source]
Agenda items[edit | edit source]
Summary of Yammer[edit | edit source]
FS Wiki Contributors group.
- changes that were made by Jim Landucci to his basic page for the wiki. Sparked interesting comments (with more not listed here)
- It might be nice to have a "contributor drive" once per month with a banner across the top of every page
- changing "New to Research" to "Research Methods"
- Rather than having a campaign to get help (from the general public; those that enter via a Google search) would it be a better idea to offer them something instead. For example, have a spot on the sidebar and or an information box on each page, per Giuseppe’s comment, that basically says … “the benefits you gain if you register”?
- home page is [not] the initial contact point for most new users. I would guess if we had numbers to go by, most people end up in the wiki on a specific page as the results of a Google search.
- Perhaps a teaser on each page: Everybody know something....
- For volunteers, we have just sent the message "contribute" without clear purpose, direction, and effective calls to action. Now we have to change tactics.
- Are there metrics on user to contributor conversion rates from the home page?
- So, yes, I'd have to say the wiki is somewhat difficult to contribute to.
- Tip: try this: split your screen to display both pages at the same time. Call up your browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) TWICE and then reduce the size of each image to half the screen and display them side by side. That way you can work on one article while referring to the other at the same time.
- More than one monitor is better: many are cheap right now.
- Image approval: Wondering how to find out if an image is ok to use in our Wiki? Here’s a tip from James Tanner, when you find an image in Google images, click on Search Tools in the tool bar at the top of the page. Then click on “Usage rights” then on “Labeled for reuse.” The images that are left should be ok to use and normally do not have any restrictions on them. We should try to use only images without restrictions.
- Humor: My family tree is a few branches short! and "Crazy" is a relative term in my family and When I go to the other side and meet my ancestors, I am going to ask them,
"Now just where did you go after the 1880 census"
Discussions and Proposals[edit | edit source]
|FamilySearch Wiki - Contributor's Meeting|
|Insert most recent at the top of list
Moderators and Adopters[edit | edit source]
Wiki Content[edit | edit source]
Wiki Support[edit | edit source]
Governance Council Report[edit | edit source]
- Items to pose to Governance Council
Community Council Report[edit | edit source]
- Items to pose to Community Council
News to be publicized[edit | edit source]
| News to be publicized (on the "Community News" page)|
Insert most recent at the top of list
access Community News
|(New, Review, Final, Rejected, or Posted)|
Meeting Notes/Minutes[edit | edit source]
(please post below this header)