Exeter St Petrock, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Exeter St Petrock, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Exeter St Petrock, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Exeter Incorporation|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
EXETER, a city, and a county of itself, locally in the hundred of Wonford, S. division of Devon, of which it is the chief town, 44 miles (N. E.) from Plymouth, and 172 (W. by S.) from London. The city comprises the parishes of All Hallows Goldsmith-street, All Hallows-on-the Walls, St. Edmund, St. George, St. John, St. Kerrian, St. Lawrence, St. Martin, St. Mary-Arches, St. Mary Major, St. Mary-Steps, St. Olave, St. Pancras, St. Paul, St. Petrock, St. Stephen, and Holy Trinity, also the parochial chapelries of St. David and St. Sidwell, and the extra-parochial precincts of the Cathedral Close, Bedford, Bradninch, and Castle-yard. The parish church, St. Petrock's, is a discharged rectory, with that of St. Kerrian's united.
Exeter St Petrock, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Exeter St Petrock, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The following non-Church of England denominations were located somewhere in Exeter, but the exact parish has not been identified:
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Countess of Huntingdon Methodist
- Plymouth Brethren
- Roman Catholic
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Exeter St Petrock on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 195-206. Date Accessed: 2 July 2013
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.