Evangeline Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Evangeline Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Evangeline Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||June 15, 1910|
|County Seat||Ville Platte|
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Acadian heroine of the poem "Evangeline". The County has Ville Platte as its seat and the County was created 1910. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Evangeline Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Evangeline Parish Courthouse
200 Court Street
Ville Platte, LA 70586
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate,
court and land records from 1911. 
- 1910--Evangeline Parish was created 15 June 1910 from St. Landry Parish.
Parish seat: Ville Platte 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Bible Records of Evangeline Parish, LA (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Biographies for Evangeline Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- Evangeline Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web sites may have additional information on Evangeline Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Evangeline Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Evangeline Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- WWII Army & Army Air Force Missing and Dead, Evangeline Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Fatal Casualties of the Korean War, Evangeline Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Fatal Casualties of the Vietnam War, Evangeline Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Evangeline Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Evangeline Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Evangeline Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Evangeline Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Evangeline Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1911 - Evangeline Parish Marriages, 1911 (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Evangeline Genealogical & Historical Society
PO Box 664
Ville Platte 70586-0664
Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Evangeline Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Evangeline Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives Project
- [http://www.theusgenweb.org/la/evangeline/ Evangeline Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb Project)
- Evangeline Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Evangeline Parish Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Evangeline Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Evangeline, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Feliciana Parish, Louisana page 290, At various libr40ries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.