Eureka County, Nevada Genealogy
Guide to Eureka County, Nevada ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Eureka County Courthouse
Eureka County, Nevada Record Dates
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
There are no incorporated places in Eureka County. The following are locations in the county:
Locations previously listed:
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
The following web site has additional information on Eureka county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Nevada cemetery records by county.
The first enumeration for Nevada before it was a state in 1864, was in the 1850 Census in both New Mexico and Utah Territories, but the area had not been divided into counties. Those living there may be in the Utah 1851 Census. For 1860, Nevada was again enumerated in New Mexico and Utah Territories.  A partial state census exists for Nevada in 1862 and 1863 and a full state census exists for 1875.  See links listed below.
State and Territory Census Records
- 1850 - United States Census, 1850 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Nevada was included in both the 1850 New Mexico and Utah Territory Censuses.
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Nevada was included in both the 1860 New Mexico and Utah Territory Censuses.
- 1860 - Nevada, Compiled Census Index, 1860-1910 at Ancestry - ($), index
- 1862-1863 - 1862-1863 Nevada Territory Tax List - Index
- 1875 - Nevada State Census, 1875 at Ancestry.com — ($), index
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for the state of Nevada starting in 1870. Although, those living in south-eastern Nevada in 1870 may be enumerated in Utah or Arizona because of disputed boundaries with Nevada. For links to Federal Census indexes, see Nevada Census.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Nevada Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
The county recorder's office keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
In the FamilySearch Catalog, land records for Nevada are listed in the Place Search under: NEVADA, Eureka – LAND AND PROPERTY
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863 - 1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
For more information see Nevada Land and Property
County histories may include biographies of early settlers and residents, church and school information, and local military regiments at the time of publication.
Online County Histories
- Eureka and Its Resources: A Complete History of Eureka County, Nevada. c1982. By Lambert Molinelli. Reno, Nevada : University of Nevada Press. Online at: Internet Archive, Google Books; At various libraries(WorldCat).
- Romancing Nevada's Past, Ghost Towns and Historical Sites of Eureka, Lander, and White Pine Counties. v1994. By Shawn R. Hall. Reno, Nevada : University of Nevada Press. Online at: Google Books, At various libraries(WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Nevada - shows boundary changes for Nevada Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of Nevada - maps and atlases of Nevada
Early migration routes to and from Eureka County, Nevada Genealogy for emigrant settlers included:
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Central Pacific Railroad since 1869 from Ogden, Utah to Sacramento, California
- Central Overland Trail 1859-1869 from Salt Lake City, Utah to Carson City, Nevada through central Nevada on a route south of the Humboldt River]
- 1861-1865 - Nevada, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1863-1866 - Nevada Civil War Volunteers, 1863-1866 ($) at Ancestry — index
World War I
World War II
- Nevada Military Killed in Action in Korea
- U.S. Military Fatal Casualties of the Korean War for Nevada
- Nevada Military Killed in Action in Vietnam
- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial - Nevada
- Vietnam Conflict Casualty Lists - Nevada
For further information see Nevada Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Online Naturalization Records
For more information, see Nevada Newspapers.
Nevada Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Nevada newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nevada newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Nevada newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Nevada Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Nevada Probate Records for additional information.
Nevada tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records. Most tax records can be obtained from the county treasurer or assessor. For more information, see the wiki page Nevada Taxation. The Family History Library does not have copies of Nevada tax records (as of June 2013).
A copy or an extract of most Nevada original records can be purchased from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Nevada Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1809 - 2011 Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011 - Index, incomplete, list of counties included
- 1956 - 2005 Nevada Marriage Index 1956-2005 at Ancestry ($)
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Eureka County Historical Society
31 S. ST 1
PO Box 283
Eureka, Nevada 89316
Nevada State Genealogical Society
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 20666
Reno, NV 89515-0666
Clark County Nevada Genealogy Society
PO Box 1929
Las Vegas, NV 89125-1929
Nevada Historical Society
1650 North Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89503
Northeastern Nevada Genealogical Society
1515 Idaho Street, Elko 89801-4021
Tri-State Genealogical Society
ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, NEVADA
PO Box 21902
Bullhead City, AZ 86439
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Eureka County, Nevada Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/nev/eureka/ accessed 3/27/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Eureka County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_County,_Nevada 3/27/2017.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Eureka County, Oregon page 442, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Eureka County, Nevada. Page 442. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 428.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Eureka County, Nevada," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_County%2C_Nevada accessed 15 March 2017.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 211.
- ’'Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 437. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 422. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 212.
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 2 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Central Overland Route" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Overland_Route (accessed 4 August 2011).