Essex, England Genealogy
|Essex Wiki Topics|
Guide to Essex ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
- This article is about the county in England. For other uses, see Essex (disambiguation).
County Information[edit | edit source]
In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Essex like this:
Essex, maritime co. in SE. of England; is bounded N. by Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, E. by the North Sea, S. by the river Thames, and W. by Middlesex and Herts; greatest length, N. and S., 44 miles; greatest breadth, E. and W., 57 miles; 987,032 ac.; pop. 576,434. On the coast are several marshy islands, such as Canvey, Foulness, Wallasea, Mersea, &c. Essex is one of the Metropolitan shires, or "Six Home Counties, " and took its name from the East Saxons. It rests upon the London clay, and is watered by the Stour, Colne, Chelmer, Crouch, Thames, Roding, and Lea; the surface, flat near the coast and the rivers, is undulating and sometimes hilly towards the NW.; the soil is generally fertile. ...
Parishes[edit | edit source]
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U V W
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Essex.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1538-1997 - England, Essex Parish Registers, 1538-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- 1613-1971 - England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch — index and images
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Essex Resources and help pages on RootsChat Essex Resources and help pages. (Free).
- Online Genealogical Index
- History House - the history of Essex. Dips into the history of its towns, villages, parishes, and its people; includes White's 1848 and 1863 Directories and 1874 Post Office Directory. www.historyhouse.co.uk