Escambia County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Escambia County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Escambia County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||July 21, 1821|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Escambia County, Florida Record Dates
Escambia County Courthouse
223 S Palafox Place
Pensacola, FL 32501
Clerk County Court has marriage, probate and court records from 1821.
County Health Department has birth and death records.
Comptroller has land records from 1821. 
1821--Escambia County was created 21 July 1821 as an original county.
County seat: Pensacola 
The county was named for the Escambia River. The County Seat is Pensacola and the county was created July 21, 1821. The County is located in the Northwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web sites may have additional information on Escambia County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
- The Friends of St. John's Cemetery Foundation St. John's Cemetery, Pensacola, Florida
For tips on accessing Escambia County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Clerk of the Court, Escambia County Escambiaclerk.com
Emigration and Immigration
- Florida and South Carolina, Airplane Arrival Manifests, 1944-1945 FamilySearch
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Plat Books and Old Deed Books, Public Records Search Escambiaclerk
- Florida Territorial Land Records USGenWeb
Local histories are available for Escambia County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida mapofus
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State USGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State USGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida University of Southern Florida
- 1840 - Escambia County, Pensioners on the Roll (Genealogy Trails)
- Escambia County Military Files (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Escambia county, Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- The 1890 Census Veterans Schedules for Fort Barrancas in Escambia County are available on roll 118 of "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123). The schedules list veterans and their widows who served as Union soldiers in the Civil War. For more information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Escambia County:
- Civil War battles in Florida nps
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Index to Escambia County World War I Draft Registration - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Escambia County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Escambia County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Escambia County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Escambia County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library USGenWeb
- Escambia County, Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Escambia, Florida - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Escambia County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Escambia County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- Probate Court Public Records Search Clerk of the Court, Escambia County
- 1784-1990 Florida Probate Records FamilySearch
- 1810-1974 Florida Wills and Probate Records Ancestry.com $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
- Clerk of the Court, Escambia County - Tax Deed Sales Records
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- Florida State Archives
Societies and Libraries
Escambia County Historical Society
223 South Palafox Place
Pensacola Historical Society
117 E. Government St.
Pensacola, FL 32501
Telephone Number: 904-433-1559
West Florida Genealogical Society
PO Box 947
Pensacola, FL 32594-0947
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
- The West Florida Genealogical Society
- West Florida Genealogy Library
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Escambia County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Escambia County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Escambia County, The FLGenWeb Project at USGenWeb
- Escambia County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- Escambia County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Escambia County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Escambia County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Escambia County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escambia_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State